U.S. immigration rules and regulations can be very complex. International Student and Scholar Services will help you navigate these complexities throughout your time at UT.
Review general information and guidance on various immigration rules, regulations and benefits. If you have any questions about the following information, please connect with a student or scholar advisor by email or schedule an appointment.
Information for New Students
Learn about F-1 immigration status, its benefits, and how to request these benefits while at UT.
- Employment Opportunities for F-1 Students
- Curricular Practical Training
- Optional Practical Training
- STEM Optional Practical Training
- Economic Hardship Employment
- Extending Your I-20
- F-1 Change of Degree Level
- F-2 Dependents
- Changing to F-1 Immigration Status
- Reinstating Your F-1 Immigration Status
Learn about J-1 immigration status, its benefits, and how to request these benefits while at UT.
- Home Country Presence Requirement
- J-2 Dependents
- J-1 Scholar Orientation
- Employment for J-1 Students
- J-1 Pre-Arrival Checklist
- J-1 Extension of Stay
- Insurance Requirements for J-1 Exchange Visitors
- Important Brochures for Exchange Visitors
Learn about obtaining and maintaining your H-1B status at UT Austin.
ISSS supports many different visa types. Find resources for Permanent Residency, TN and E3 statuses.