Applying for SSNs

Social Security Numbers (SSNs)

A Social Security Number (SSN) is needed to facilitate payment for scholarships, employment in the U.S., and to file a U.S. tax return. Refer to the information below to determine if you are eligible for a SSN and for instructions on how to obtain one.
NOTE: While any individual employed in the U.S. must apply for and obtain an SSN, they can begin working before they receive the SSN.

Directions to the Social Security Office

1029 Camino La Costa

Austin, TX 78752

Phones: 1-866-627-6991 or 1-800-772-1213

Hours: 9 am – 4 pm (Mon, Tue, Thu, & Fri), 9 am – 12 pm (Wed)

For bus routes go to or call 512-474-1200

Screenshot of Google Map of the Social Security Office

I Do Not Have an SSN or Am Not Eligible For an SSN

If you do not currently have a Social Security Number (SSN) and are not currently eligible for an SSN (i.e. you do not have employment), you will need to apply for an ITIN to facilitate payment for scholarships and/or to file your U.S. tax return.