Tax Information

International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) provides resources to students and scholars who are classified as nonresidents for United States tax purposes. 

Note that ISSS staff are not tax professionals or certified public accountants. For professional advice, please consult with a licensed tax professional with experience in nonresident taxes or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

This section will help you:

  • Understand nonresident filing instructions
  • Answer general questions regarding nonresident taxes.
  • Provide general resources for tax questions

Tax Obligations

All international students and scholars who are nonresidents for tax purposes must complete documentation for the IRS every year. Additionally, any nonresident for tax purposes who has U.S.-sourced income is subject taxation and must file a federal tax return. A tax return is a compilation of various tax forms that compares what an international student or scholar paid in taxes against what the U.S. government calculates the individual should have paid in taxes during the prior calendar year.

Tax Status

There are two different tax statuses for an international student or scholar: resident alien for tax purposes and nonresident alien for tax purposes. These tax statuses are significant because they determine what U.S. tax laws you will follow. The tax laws for the nonresident aliens for tax purposes are much different from the tax laws for resident aliens for tax purposes. Filing under the incorrect tax designation may result in taxes owed back to the government, so it is important to know your status to file correctly. These tax statuses are not the same as your current immigration status or your Texas residency.

Helpful Links

Tax Treaties

  • View information about Tax Treaties.


  • Apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

UT W-2 Form

  • Download your UT W-2 Form.

UT 1042-S Form

  • Inquire about your UT 1042-S Form.

U.S. Resident Tax Return

  • File a resident U.S. tax return.


  • Software to assist you in filing nonresident tax returns.

Prior Year Tax Return

  • Find tax return forms from prior years.

Social Security Medicare Tax Refund

  • Apply for a refund of Social Security Medicare Taxes.

State Income Taxes

  • File state income taxes - the website is a collection of state tax filing requirements. Look for specific information about filing personal state income tax.

Tax Transcript

  • Request a tax return transcript from a prior year.