International Student & Scholar Services is able to provide assistance for filing nonresident U.S. tax returns. This section will help you:
Understand the filing instructions.
Prepare and print your own federal tax returns through Sprintax.
Answer general questions regarding nonresident taxes.
As an international student or scholar, much of your U.S.-sourced income is subject to taxation. It is a federal obligation to file a tax return if you earned U.S.-sourced income as a nonresident alien. A tax return is a compilation of various tax forms that compares what an international student or scholar paid in taxes against what the U.S. government calculates the student/scholar should have paid in taxes during the prior calendar year.
There are two different tax statuses for an international student or scholar: resident alien for tax purposes and nonresident alien for tax purposes. These tax statuses are significant because they determine what U.S. tax laws you will follow. The tax laws for the nonresident aliens for tax purposes are much different from the tax laws for resident aliens for tax purposes. Filing under the incorrect tax designation may result in taxes owed back to the government, so it is important to know your status to file correctly. These tax statuses are not the same as your current immigration status or your Texas residency.
- View information about Tax Treaties.
- Apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
UT W-2 Form
- Download your UT W-2 Form.
UT 1042-S Form
- Inquire about your UT 1042-S Form.
U.S. Resident Tax Return
- File a resident U.S. tax return.
- Software to assist you in filing nonresident tax returns.
Prior Year Tax Return
- Find tax return forms from prior years.
Social Security Medicare Tax Refund
- Apply for a refund of Social Security Medicare Taxes.
State Income Taxes
- File state income taxes - the website is a collection of state tax filing requirements. Look for specific information about filing personal state income tax.
- Request a tax return transcript from a prior year.