Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN)
If you do not currently have a Social Security Number (SSN) and are not currently eligible for an SSN (i.e. you do not have employment), you will need to apply for an ITIN to facilitate payment for scholarships and/or to file your U.S. tax return. If you are a resident alien for tax purposes and your dependent does not currently have an SSN and is not eligible for an SSN, then your dependent will also need to apply for an ITIN to be claimed on your U.S. tax return.
Students can apply for an ITIN via ITIN Application Assistance Appointment with ISSS or directly through the IRS Website.
ITIN Application Assistance Appointment
ITIN Application Assistance Appointments are reserved for International Students who:
- Do not have a Social Security number and are not eligible to receive a Social Security number based on employment
- Are non-resident for tax purposes
- Are receiving a scholarship or fellowship not connected to employment
International Student and Scholar Services are now offering ITIN Application Assistance Appointments
- Appointments are every Tuesday from 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- Be sure to bring your valid passport and I-20 or DS-2019 with you
Applying directly with the IRS
Student needing an ITIN can also choose to apply directly to IRS without ISSS assistance. Find comprehensive instructions and forms on the IRS website. Resident dependents needing an ITIN can only apply in this way, and are not eligible for ISSS assistance with the process. If you prefer in-person assistance, or do not have certified copies of your documents, the IRS provides a list of ITIN IRS-authorized Certifying Acceptance Agents.
- Complete the Form W-7
- Certified copy of Passport*
- Certified copy of visa with date of first entrance to U.S. on current visa*
- Letter of non-approved work authorization from DSO. This letter can be obtained by emailing your request to email@example.com or your ISSS International Student Advisor.
- Copy of I-20 (front and back) or DS-2019
- Send by mail Form W-7 and supporting documents to:
Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342
*You must either submit certified copies from the issuing agency (your country’s embassy or consulate) or present the documents to a IRS Authorized Certifying Acceptance Agent.