Information for Graduate Coordinators

Bringing International Students to UT

Most international students come to the United States and enroll in a full-time degree program under F-1 or J-1 student status. Once admitted international students will need to log into myIO and complete a number of forms in order to request an I-20 (for F-1 status) or DS-2019 (for J-1 status) immigration document from ISSS.

If you are providing funding for an international student with an academic assignment here are the basics that you need to know:

  • We have moved to a completely paperless system. Students will now upload their proof of funding in our student management system, myIO.
  • Funding amounts: In order to issue an immigration document, we are required to verify that a student has one year of tuition & living expenses available.
  • If the student is receiving funding from your department, you will receive an automatic email from myIO requesting that you log in and provide us with the student’s funding information.

If you encounter any difficulties while logging in or completing the form, please refer to our FAQs page.

Hiring International Students

International students in F-1 and J-1 status are automatically authorized to work on campus for up to 20 hours during the long semesters. For details on work restrictions please review our on campus employment page.

Obtaining a Social Security Number

New International Students may not have a Social Security number. If this is the case, you will need to complete an employment verification letter for use as evidence of on-campus employment when applying for a Social Security Number.

Health Insurance

All F-1 and J-1 students are automatically charged International Student Health Insurance. If their employment will provide them with insurance benefits, please advise your students to complete all steps in Workday to finalize their benefits selection and complete the Insurance Waiver to avoid being charged for the international student insurance.