Hiring International Employees

Departments can invite international professors, researchers, or certain classified staff to UT. Below you will find information to begin the process.

J-1 Exchange Visitors

The J-1 Exchange Visitor status allows scholars, researchers and professors to come to the United States for temporary periods of time for the purpose of educational exchange.

H-1B Employment

For long-term employment (including tenure-track positions) in teaching and research, the H-1B visa status is most commonly used. H-1B status can be extended for up to six years and allows transition to permanent residency for qualified foreign nationals.

Individuals with F-1 or J-1 Employment Authorization

Some of our new hires already hold an immigration status that allows them to work. Learn more about employment eligibility for recent graduates of U.S. institutions in F-1 or J-1 status.

Lawful Permanent Residency

The route to permanent residency for new hires is complex. Learn about the various actions required to facilitate this.

UT Policy on Sponsoring Foreign Nationals

Review UT’s policy regarding visa sponsorship of foreign nationals including information on which job titles are eligible for the H-1B visa and Permanent Residency.

Department Fees

Review ISSS service fees for preparing and processing immigration petitions and documents.

View H-1B LCA Postings

In compliance with Department of Labor requirements for employers petitioning for H-1B / E-3 visas, the employer must publicly and anonymously post all Labor Condition Applications (LCA). Review all postings here.