Aerial view of London with London Bridge and Thames river and buildings on either side in view

Faculty and Staff Travel

Find guidance and requirements pertaining to university-related international travel below.

University-Related International Travel

Prior to departing on a university-related international trip, all faculty and staff are required to complete the following steps. The process is the same regardless of whether the travel is funded by UT Austin or not. This does not include personal/vacation travel that is unaffiliated with UT Austin.

Submit all documentation at least five weeks prior to trip departure to Global Risk and Safety at

Pre-Departure Steps

  1. Request Restricted Regions Travel Approval.

    UT Austin faculty and staff traveling internationally to an area designated as a Restricted Region for university business (e.g., conducting research, teaching, attending or delivering lectures or conferences) must apply for and request approval from the International Oversight Committee (IOC). If your destination does not appear on the Restricted Regions list, proceed to Step 2.

  2. Complete a Request for Travel Authorization (RTA).

    All faculty and staff are required to submit an electronic Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) for business travel before departure. The RTA is a departmental requirement and is not a part of the Restricted Regions request process, nor is it processed through Texas Global. Please contact your department with any questions.

  3. Enroll in the emergency medical and security assistance services by registering your trip in the UT Austin International Travel Registry (ITR).

    All employees are required by the UT System (per UTS 190) to register their university-related international travel in the UT Austin International Travel Registry (ITR) in order for the trip to be registered with On Call International (the contracted emergency medical and security assistance provider).

    Per the UT Austin International Oversight Committee (IOC), travel to U.S. territories (American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands) must be registered in the ITR to ensure emergency assistance and overseas insurance coverage through On Call International. ITR registration also informs the campus leadership, Texas Global, On Call International and UT System that we have travelers in these locations who may need support in event of emergency.

    Once the trip is registered, email a copy of the confirmation page to

    On Call will enter your trip information upon receipt in their Travel Monitoring platform, powered by OnSolve:

    • Depending upon the risk rating of your destination, you may receive a pre-travel advisory email containing standing health and safety advice.
    • You will be registered to receive critical incident alerts via email for your destination prior to departure and while you are traveling, should any be issued.
    • You will be registered to use the OnSolve Risk Intelligence app and you will receive an emailed invitation to download it. To optimize usage of the app, configure the settings as recommended in the Mobile App User Guide.
    • Emails from On Call International (OCI) Alerts will be sent from the email domain. We suggest you designate this domain in your email as a Safe Sender.
  4. Understand how On Call and your insurance will work together for emergency care only while you are abroad.

    • In order to waive the Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) Global Core insurance deductible, you must contact On Call International to request assistance and establish a case # before obtaining medical assistance. Note: The On Call policy is for emergency care only. If you do not have UT System BCBS, speak with your insurance provider before departure. 
    • BCBS has an out-of-network deductible but has agreed to waive the deductible and pay case fees and necessary medical expenses for emergency medical treatment if On Call International is contacted first to coordinate, monitor, and pay for care. This policy DOES NOT include coverage for elective or routine medical procedures.
    • Use UT Group ID # 100143CPPD21 to access and utilize the On Call Plan Information Portal to:
      • Obtain pre-trip information or advice on travel health and security issues.
      • Learn more about the On Call policy and benefits available to you.
      • Watch a brief video on how to use On Call and what to expect when doing so.
    • Ensure you always have access to On Call International contact and plan information in the easiest place to get it – on your phone. Click Plan ID from your mobile device and follow the single prompt to save to the home screen of your phone. This is not an app and does not require any login or personal details. Opening the Plan ID from your mobile device will allow you to click-to-dial On Call, open a 24/7 Live Chat link, and access other plan documents such as the full plan description and tele-counseling information.
  5. Register your trip in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

    Registering in the free Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) through the U.S. Department of State will inform the U.S. Embassy you are in-country and allow them to email you alerts and travel/security advice while abroad.

    Non-U.S. citizens can register their trip in their home country’s equivalent of STEP.

  6. Complete Mandatory Export Control Documentation

    If you are traveling abroad with any equipment owned by UT Austin, you must complete the TMP License Exemption form and carry a copy with you while traveling. Please note: this form does not require approval by UT Austin; it is self-effectuating upon your completion and signature of the document.


    All university employees (faculty, staff and employed graduate students) traveling on official university business to a country of concern (China, including Hong Kong and Macau, Russia, Iran, or North Korea) are required to utilize a university provided loaner laptop while on official travel. For additional information please contact the Office of Research Support and Compliance via

Special Notice: Traveling with Students

If you will be leading a group of students abroad, you are required to complete the Faculty and Staff Safety Assessment for International Group Experiences (SAIGE) process, regardless of destination abroad. The sponsoring or hosting department Chair/Unit Head must review and sign requests for faculty- or staff-led group travel. They may delegate this responsibility to another leader in the same office. View the current list of UT Austin Deans and Chairs.

Group leaders are also required to:

  1. Register their travel with Texas Global
  2. Work with college/school staff to submit and obtain an approved Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) if they expect to be reimbursed for expenses. 

Regional Limitations of On Call International Policy

There are no geographical coverage restrictions on the On Call policy. All IOC-approved travel is covered by On Call. However, there are some countries where it is extraordinarily difficult to provide help and could impact On Call’s ability to support a traveler. Travelers should take this into consideration when planning international trips.

Texas Global Resources

Health and Safety Resources

What happens if you get sick or hurt while abroad? What if you lose your passport? What if there's an earthquake or political conflict in the country where you’re traveling? Knowing you have resources to deal with emergencies as they arise takes a lot of the uncertainty out of traveling abroad.