Safety and Security Resources for Faculty

Creating a Culture of Safety

This information is intended to assist University faculty and staff prepare for and coordinate a safe program abroad. Staff in Texas Global can assist you during program development as well as in the event of an emergency. The resources below will help you establish a culture of safety before departure and prepare you to handle an emergency abroad.

In an Emergency: Incident Reporting

If a faculty member sends or accompanies students abroad, they have incident reporting responsibilities for informing the Global Risk and Safety office of any health and/or safety incidents that occur abroad. UT Austin has 24/7 emergency support for faculty, staff and students. Bookmark this page for important information and phone numbers. For all incidents that take place abroad, you must complete an Incident Report and submit it to Global Risk & Safety at For urgent issues while abroad, faculty and staff can call the Global Risk and Safety emergency cell phone at (512) 669-8488.

Student Health and Safety Pre-Departure Orientation

Texas Global has developed standardized health and safety pre-departure materials, which they can deliver in person or electronically to groups going abroad. Any UT international program sending any number of students abroad should participate in a Health and Safety Pre-Departure Orientation. Texas Global requires that every student must either observe a session or watch a recorded session online (Global Risk & Safety events are listed here). To schedule a session or request more information, please contact Global Risk & Safety at or call (512) 232-9581.

Health Clearances

Any UT international program sending any number of students abroad on a program of a length of 4 weeks or more must have their students obtain a health clearance signed by a medical professional. A student must go to a medical professional to have the form signed, which must then be transmitted securely to Texas Global. Any student with chronic or recurring health conditions must be evaluated by their primary care provider and/or specialist prior to participating in a study abroad program and have the specialist complete a separate form in order to complete the Health Clearance Form. Both forms can be found here. For more information, please contact Global Risk & Safety at or call (512) 232-9581.

Student Enrollment in Overseas Insurance

Any student traveling outside of the U.S. for any university-related purposes must be enrolled in International SOS, UT's overseas insurance coverage (unless the student has a passport issued by the country to which they are traveling). The cost is $19/week. Enrollment happens automatically when a student registers their travel in the MyAbroad Portal or the International Travel Registry (ITR), and/or if travel is purchased through Concur or Anthony Travel. If any other means are used to procure travel for faculty/staff, manual registration is required. Registration can occur by creating an account and then emailing the itinerary. For more information, please contact Global Risk & Safety at or call (512) 232-9581. You may also contact the UT System Office of Risk Management at or call (512) 499-4655.

Education Abroad Program Safety and Security Assessment (SAPSSA)

All courses, academic programs, and non-academic UT-affiliated programs that send more than one student abroad for a period of 4 weeks or more to a location that is not a UT Restricted Region must complete a Education Abroad Program Safety & Security Assessment along with a proposed program itinerary and send it to Global Risk & Safety will review and consider potential health, safety, and security risks associated with the program. For more information, please contact Global Risk & Safety at or call (512) 232-9581.

International Travel Request Authorization Form (ITRAF)

Faculty are responsible for completing and submitting the appropriate International Travel Request Authorization Form (ITRAF) to Global Risk & Safety following published procedures and policies. Faculty are required to ensure that students who seek to travel complete the steps required to approve international travel for any individual student and/or program of a length shorter than 4 weeks that is not in a UT Restricted Region. For more information, please contact Global Risk & Safety at or call (512) 232-9581.

Restricted Regions

The University of Texas System requires all travel to countries with elevated U.S. Department of State and/or International SOS Travel Advisories to be reviewed and approved by the University's International Oversight Committee (IOC). The Restricted Regions Policy outlines the procedures that all students, faculty, and staff must follow to ensure their international travel complies with the UT System directive. The faculty member leading or sending students abroad to a Restricted Region is responsible for completing the program/activity form as appropriate for any group traveling as a group. The student who is traveling as an individual is responsible for completing a student Restricted Regions Request Form for themselves. For more information on faculty/staff Restricted Regions requests, please email For more information on student Restricted Regions Requests, please email the IOC at

Emergency Response Plan

Thirty days prior to departure, faculty, staff, or program directors must complete an Emergency Response Plan (ERP) in the provided format, listing in-country contact information and the itinerary, and email it to The ERP contains the program's emergency information, the itinerary/schedule, and a student roster including cell phone numbers. The form also lists critical UT contact information. For more information, please contact Global Risk & Safety at or call (512) 232-9581.

Student Conduct

Students participating in approved University programs are bound to the terms outlined in the Responsibility of Participation, Code of Conduct and the Misconduct Resolution Policy. Faculty dealing with conduct issues abroad should refer to this documents and contact Education Abroad for further guidance. Education Abroad will then liaise with the Dean of Student's Office.

Student Responsibilities of Participation & Code of Conduct
Misconduct Resolution Policy

Validation of Good Academic Standing and Disciplinary Clearances

Faculty leaders taking or sending students abroad must validate that each student is in good academic standing, meaning that the student must have at least a 2.0 GPA (for undergraduate students) or a 3.0 GPA (for graduate students). For faculty assistance on this matter, please contact Education Abroad at or call (512) 471-6490. Additionally, students going on programs 4 weeks or greater in duration must have their complete student records reviewed by the Office of the Dean of Students to assess if there have been any documented disciplinary infractions. Documented disciplinary infractions can result in students being ineligible to participate in programs. The Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity can be reached at or (512) 471-2841. 

FERPA Compliance

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) is a federal law that pertains to the release of and access to educational records. The law, also known as the Buckley Amendment, applies to all schools, universities, and colleges that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education. Additional information can be found here. FERPA requires that faculty and staff do not release any personal information about students. An emergency clause can be invoked in an emergency situation to share information with an authorized person working in an official capacity. For more information, please contact the Office of Registrar at or (512) 475-7644, or the Office of Legal Affairs at or (512) 471-1241.

Clery Act Requirements: Campus Security Authority (CSA)

All faculty, staff and students serving in TA or GA roles with study abroad programs, as well as program and resident directors, are required to comply with requirements set forth in the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. This includes acting in the role of a Campus Security Authority, incident reporting, and fire safety. Faculty and staff members are considered Campus Security Authorities (CSAs). A Campus Security Authority (CSA) is a person who is responsible for reporting crime information accurately to the correct people in a timely manner. A faculty or staff member is expected to listen to an individual sharing experiences and provide them with options and resources. CSAs are not responsible for determining if a crime took place, finding and/or apprehending an alleged perpetrator, or convincing a victim to contact law enforcement. CSAs include university police and non-police staff responsible for monitoring student and campus activities, such as: student housing, student discipline, campus judicial proceedings, resident assistants, academic advisors, faculty and other employees who travel abroad with students, and coaches. If a faculty or staff member sends a student or accompanies a student abroad, they have Clery Act responsibilities. In any international program, a faculty member is a UT-designated CSA. While abroad, faculty can call the Global Risk & Safety emergency cell phone. Reporting forms are available here; an online Clery Act reporting option is coming soon. For more information, please contact the Clery Program Manager with University Compliance Services at or call (512) 471-8198. 

Title IX Requirements

All faculty, staff and students serving in TA or GA roles with study abroad programs, as well as program and resident directors, are required to comply with Title IX requirements. This includes serving as Responsible Employees and reporting all Title IX related incidents (past or present). If a faculty or staff member sends or accompanies students abroad, they have Title IX responsibilities and are designated as a Responsible Employee. Responsible Employees have the authority to take action to redress an alleged violation of Title IX policy and are designated with the duty of reporting such allegations to the University Title IX Coordinator or designee, or an employee whom an individual could reasonably believe has this authority or duty. A Responsible Employee is required to promptly report any incident of prohibited conduct. While Responsible Employees cannot maintain confidentiality, they can protect privacy. Title IX protects against sexual harassment, sex discrimination, sexual misconduct, sexual assault, dating/domestic violence, stalking, and retaliation.

While abroad, faculty and staff can call the Global Risk and Safety emergency cell phone at (512) 669-8488. Additionally, an online Title IX reporting option is available for student misconduct, employee misconduct, compliance concerns, and campus climate concerns. For any questions and concerns, or to request more information, please contact the Title IX Coordinator at or call (512) 232-3992.

Detailed information of this policy can be found in the General Information Catalog under Appendix D or in the Handbook of Operating Procedures, 3-3031.

Services for Students with Disabilities

The primary role of Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) is to ensure students with disabilities have equal access to their academic experience at UT Austin. SSD also consults with other campus offices and departments to facilitate access and inclusion in all aspects of campus life, including studying abroad and international travel. UT Austin is required to provide equal access by federal laws, and faculty and staff play a vital role in ensuring compliance by accommodating students with disabilities. SSD is available to consult with faculty or staff about how to accommodate or work with a student with a disability, and resources on this matter can be found here. For more information, please contact SSD at or call (512) 471-6259. 

Faculty & Staff Insurance Information

Faculty/staff are required to register international travel with International SOS. Faculty and staff members who experience a medical emergency while traveling internationally on university business should call International SOS at +1-215-942-8059. Blue Cross Blue Shield has agreed to pay case fees and necessary medical expenses when treatment is coordinated through International SOS.

UT's Travel Management Services has more information on how to register with International SOS. They can be reached at 512-471-6641 or by email at

If you are interested in purchasing supplementary international insurance while abroad on official university business, the list below can serve as a starting point for your research. These plans are not connected to our student plan and all questions should be referred directly to the respective provider.

Faculty and Staff Travel Insurance

Faculty members will want to ensure they are in compliance with automobile insurance policies abroad, especially if planning on renting a car abroad. For additional information, visit the UT Austin Travel Management Website. UT does not recommend a specific travel insurance policy. However, we do recommend that faculty and staff consider purchasing the ISOS policy for family that will be accompanying them abroad.

Faculty and Staff Liability Insurance

The UT System Office of Risk Management purchases several insurance products to assist in covering the various exposures for travelers and Institutions for workers’ compensation and liability claims arising from incidents abroad. The Foreign Package Policy provides coverage for Foreign Commercial General Liability, Foreign Business Auto Liability, and Foreign Voluntary Workers’ Compensation and Employers’ Liability.  Defense Base Act Workers’ Compensation is an extension of the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, and provides workers’ compensation coverage for UT System institutions contracting with the US government on work taking place internationally.  An overview of policies is available here. For additional contact information, please go here

Faculty Health and Safety Workshop

Faculty members leading students abroad are required to attend the Faculty Health & Safety Workshop annually or to complete the equivalent program online on the appropriate Texas Global website. Deans will be notified in the event of non-compliance. Faculty Health & Safety Workshop materials can be accessed here. For more information, please contact Global Risk and Safety at or call (512) 232-9581.