Restricted Regions List
No student, faculty, or staff can be required to travel to a location on the Restricted Regions List (PDF).
Download an explanation of the criteria and ratings (PDF) for Restricted Regions.
You must apply for approval in order to travel to a Restricted Region. Instructions and request forms can be found on the Request Restricted Region Travel Approval page.
To receive safety and security information from the International Oversight Committee, sign up for the IOC listserv (search for "IOC" and subscribe to firstname.lastname@example.org) or contact us at email@example.com.
New Travel Guidelines in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
The current prohibition on university-sanctioned travel for business or study is extended through July 31, 2020. Exceptions will be processed by deans or vice presidents for domestic travel and by Texas Global for international travel. Decisions about policy after August 1 will be announced on or before July 15.
- Requests for domestic travel will be approved by the college’s/school's/unit’s Dean or Vice President; it is expected that precautions for travel will have been considered with concrete steps planned to mitigate health risks.
- All air travel, hotels, and rental cars must be booked through UT Contracted travel agencies or Concur.
- University funds may not be used to cover cancellation fees for meeting registrations or for travel booked outside of UT contracted travel agencies or Concur.
At this time, the US Department of State continues to have a global health travel advisory, level 4 “Do not travel” and the CDC has a global COVID-19 pandemic notice level 3 “Avoid non-essential travel.” As of July 1, 2020, faculty/staff/students (whether paid by UT or external sources) seeking to travel will be able to do so based on the following:
- Faculty/staff/students must petition for international travel through the university’s Restricted Regions process and submit a supplemental COVID-19 travel waiver. Approved travelers will need to follow all quarantine requirements in the destination country and upon return to the U.S., Austin, and the UT campus.
- Visitors/researchers/scholars wishing to travel to campus from abroad will need to seek approval from the corresponding college/school's Dean or Vice President. All visitors will be subject to the same quarantine provisions as UT Austin approved travelers returning from abroad.
- All international visiting delegations coordinated by Texas Global are suspended through December 31, 2020.
Self-Quarantine Guidance Upon Return from Abroad
UT Austin will follow the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the U.S. Department of State. If you travel internationally, follow the guidance below for 14 days, upon your return:
- Stay home (self-quarantine and remain away from others).
- Monitor your health. You can learn more about what do if you become sick after travelling here.
- Practice social distancing. If you go outside, stay away from crowded places, avoid group gatherings, and maintain distance (~6 feet) from others.
Understand Your Risks
Travel anywhere comes with risk. Be prepared and aware by visiting these links where you can learn more about specific risks associated with your destination:
- U.S. Department of State Country Information
- International SOS (UT Member ID: 11BSGC000037)
- U.S. Embassies & Consulates
- Overseas Security Council (OSAC)
- BBC World News by Region
- U.S. Department of State Country Fact Sheet
- NPR World News by Region
Advisories by Governments
Some governments issue travel advisories based on perceived health and safety risks. These risks are influenced by weather, politics, or social unrest and are often regional. Listed below are a few links to government-issued travel advisories:
Risk Rating Legend
All international locations with:
- International SOS (ISOS) EXTREME Medical or Travel Risk rating, or
- U.S. Department of State (USDOS) Travel Advisory Level 4: DO NOT TRAVEL
All international locations with:
- ISOS HIGH Travel Risk rating, or
- USDOS Travel Advisory Level 3: RECONSIDER TRAVEL, or
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) Travel Notice: WARNING LEVEL 3