F-1 Students

Most students studying in the United States do so using the F-1 status. The following information provides insight for F-1 students pertaining to the immigration benefits, rules, and regulations associated with this visa category.

Employment for F-1 Students

As an F-1 student, you are eligible to work in the United States under specific circumstances. Find information about on-campus employment, Curricular Practical Training, and Optional Practical Training.

Extending Your I-20

Some students require additional time to complete their program. In order to maintain your F-1 status, you will need to extend your I-20.

F-1 Change of Degree Level

If you have completed one degree at UT and plan to begin another, you will need to update your I-20 to reflect your new level of study.

F-2 Dependents

Are you bringing your family with you to the U.S.? F-1 students may bring their spouse and children in F-2 status as dependents.

Changing to F-1 Immigration Status

Are you currently in another immigration status and would like to change your status to F-1 student? Our advisors can assist you with this process.

Reinstating Your F-1 Immigration Status

If you have violated the rules of maintaining your F-1 status, or a circumstance beyond your control has caused an interruption in your status, you must speak with an International Student Advisor to assist you in regaining your status.