Extending Your I-20

An extension of stay is required for students who do not complete their degree program by the program end date listed on the I-20. Students must apply for an extension before these documents expire and may request an extension up to six months prior to the program end date. 

How to Apply

  1. Meet With Your Academic Advisor

    Meet with your academic advisor regarding the I-20 extension request you are about to submit. Obtain their email address and inform them they will receive an email from ISSS once you submit your request to ISSS. The email will ask your academic advisor to verify the reason for and length of the extension you are requesting.

  2. Submit Your Extension Request

    Submit your extension request in myIO and complete the Academic Verification and Financial Verification e-forms.

You will receive an email once your request has been processed. Please allow a minimum of 3 weeks for processing. We will prioritize requests by I-20 expiration date. Requests expiring within 3 weeks will be expedited. The I-20 extension request must be completed through myIO prior to the expiration date, but you may email hotline@austin.utexas.edu or schedule an appointment with an immigration advisor if you have any questions about the process.

Graduate Students

In addition to the information above, PhD students who seek an extension beyond seven years and Master’s students who seek an extension beyond three years from their original program start date will be asked to provide more detailed information.

Sponsored Students

If you are a sponsored student, you and your sponsor will also need to complete the form Sponsored Student Extension Acknowledgement. The secure online application service is not available to sponsored students. Please schedule an appointment for Sponsored Student Advising or email Sponsored Student Services with any questions.

Employment On Campus

Students working on campus need to show a copy of the extended I-20 to their employing department, or take a copy directly to Employee Record Services to update their Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification).