You will need your UT EID and password in order to access the code.
Non-Resident Tax Preparation Software
ISSS has purchased a license agreement for the Sprintax tax software to assist you and your dependents prepare nonresident alien U.S. tax returns. Sprintax is available for UT international students and scholars, as well as their dependents.
Sprintax is able to:
- Determine whether you are a nonresident alien or resident alien for tax purposes
- Determine eligible tax deductions, credits, and allowances
- Review eligibility to claim tax treaty benefits
- Calculate tax refund or tax due to the IRS
- Prepare all required federal tax forms and statements for both the international student/scholar and their dependents
Gather Your Tax Documents
Before using Sprintax be sure to collect all of your tax documents. Filing without proper documents could lead you to submit an erroneous Federal Tax Return.
Any income tax documents you received for the appropriate tax year (Form W-2, Form 1042-S, etc.)
- The Form W-2 displays wages. Employees of UT can access their Form W-2 in Workday by logging in and clicking on the Pay application, then Tax Documents.
- The Form 1042-S displays scholarships, fellowships, and income exempted by tax treaty. This form will be mailed to you in later February or early March of each year. Forms can be obtained via the My Tax Forms website in UT Direct.
- You will receive income forms only for the income types you received. The W-2 is provided to individuals who have employment-based income while scholarship or fellowship recipients should receive form 1042-S.
A U.S. tax identification number (either ITIN or SSN)
You do not need a tax identification number if you did not earn any U.S. income during the tax year.
History of arrivals and departures for the U.S.
You can find your travel history from the past five years on the I-94 retrieval website.
Copy of the previous year's nonresident tax return, if you filed a return
Sprintax Access Code
Need Further Tax Help?
Tax Preparation Support
During tax season ISSS holds virtual drop-in sessions to answer general tax questions. Drop in sessioll begin in March of every year. You can also email us at email@example.com for assistance.
Need Sprintax Support?
If you need help while using Sprintax, you can contact their support team using the options below:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 24/7 Live Chat Help from your Sprintax account
Amended/Prior Year Tax Return Assistance
International Student and Scholar Services is unable to assist with amended tax returns or prior year tax returns.
Nonresident aliens for tax purposes who have failed to file a prior year tax return may have options on Sprintax. You will be able to access blank tax forms to fill out on your own or purchase access to Sprintax or GLACIER Tax Prep prior year software to help fill out the forms.
For amended taxes, contact email@example.com for suggestions on resources to assist you.
For additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.