J-1 Pre-Arrival Checklist
We are glad that you chose The University of Texas at Austin for your J-1 Exchange Visitor Program and look forward to welcoming you to Austin. At International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) we are here to help you with immigration planning and related matters during your stay. Please review the pre-arrival information below.
Before arriving in the United States, you must:
- Verify that all the information on your DS-2019 is correct. Note the program begin date and notify your inviting department (and ISSS) immediately if your travel plans change, including if you face delays in getting your visa
- Pay the SEVIS FEE online at least three business days before your visa interview and print out the receipt
- Apply for a J-1 Visa at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy nearest to your home residence by submitting the DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application form
- Schedule your mandatory J-1 Scholar Orientation with ISSS as soon as possible after arriving in Austin
- Arrange or make plans for transportation from the Austin airport to your hotel or apartment
- Purchase or make plans for required medical insurance coverage. The U.S. Department of State requires all individuals who enter the United States in J-1 status to have medical insurance for themselves and any accompanying J-2 dependents.
- Arrange or make plans for your housing needs. Although ISSS is unable to assist you in arranging housing, this page provides an overview of the many housing options in Austin.