Inviting Family to Visit

Anyone may apply for a tourist visa if they have legitimate tourist intent, but there are some steps you and your family may take to increase the chance of being granted a B-2 tourist visa:

  • Write a letter of invitation addressed to your family. This letter should detail the purpose of their visit, the length of their stay, and how they will financially support themselves while they are here. The letter should be sent in both English and your native language. Please note that Texas Global does not write letters of invitation. It should come directly from you.
  • Send photocopies of all of your immigration documents to your relatives who will be visiting to take with them to the U.S. Embassy for their visa appointment. These documents include your passport, visa, I-94, and I-20 (for F-1 status) or DS-2019 (for J-1 status).

If your family is coming for graduation, it is also a good idea to send a document that shows when the University commencement will take place. This could be a print out from the UT website or an invitation card.

OPTIONAL: if you will be providing any support for your family, download the I-134, or Affidavit of Support. This form should be completed for each family member who is applying for a visa to the United States. The purpose of the form is to prove that each person entering the country will be able to financially support themselves during the stay. You can find the form on the USCIS website. If you choose not to complete the I-134, your family should show their own financial support with personal bank statements.

Be sure to check the website of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where your relative(s) will apply for the visa as other documents may be requested at that location.