Choosing Your Internship Program
Applicants for the International Internship Program are strongly recommended to attend an Explore: The International Internship Program session before opening an application, but it is not required. Bring follow-up questions to walk-in advising on Wednesdays from 4:30-5:30pm. See events calendar for dates and locations.
The International Internship Program is just one way to do an internship abroad through Texas Global. We recommend you meet with a peer advisor if you want to learn more about the many programs that combine an internship with coursework.
Once you have attended an Explore session and decided that you want to intern abroad on the International Internship Program:
- Meet with your Academic Advisor to discuss credit. These internships are credit-eligible, but students may petition their department for credit. Discuss with your advisor whether you should attach credit to this experience.
- Review the FAQ to ensure that you understand the program, the requirements, and the process. Contact the Internship Coordinator with any concerns prior to opening an application.
- Visit Career Services to have them review your resume and cover letter before uploading them to your application.
- Attend Walk-in Advising to discuss any questions that arise during the application process. See events calendar for dates.
Opening an Application
Application opens in October. The Summer 2019 application is closed!
Deadline to apply: January 15, 2019 at 11:59pm
- Self-authorize access to the application. Enter the following information
- Your UT EID
- Year Abroad (2019)
- Semester (Summer Whole, regardless of program length)
- Application Type (Internship)
- Application code
Only use the self-authorize link above to initially open your application. After self-authorizing an application, you can return multiple times to your application through MySAO.
Completing the Application
Access your opened application on MySAO anytime. You do not have to complete the application in one session.
- Your application begins on MySAO. Complete:
- "Online Application." The advisor for this program is Katherine Uhlrich.
- Read the "Financial Responsibility Policy" and acknowledge
- Follow the link in "Internship Application Instructions" to join the Canvas course. After clicking the link in Canvas, you will be taken to Box, where you will click your location. Then you will be added to the Canvas course. Only join the Canvas course for your first choice location. All others will be deleted.
- You will submit your application documents on Canvas:
- Cover Letter
- Essays (3)
- Why specifically do you want to intern in your chosen location (as compared to the other seven locations)?
- Research your chosen industry sector in the location you have selected. How is it similar or different from the United States?
- Identify specific skills, personal goals, or professional development outcomes you hope to achieve through your internship experience. What actions will you take to achieve them?
- Fields of Interest
- Signature documents
- Letter of Support (if your GPA is below 2.5)
Your application will not be complete until both the MySAO and Canvas portions are done.
Be Prepared To:
- Enter the application code (also called the program code) for first and second choice programs. If you do not have a second choice program, enter the first choice again. A second choice location does not harm your application.
- Pay the $75 non-refundable application fee (charged to What I Owe after clicking “continue” on the bottom of the "online application" in MySAO). This fee is non-reversible and non-refundable, even if the application is incomplete. Do not click "continue" unless you are ready to commit to completing your application.
For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Internship Coordinator is located in Texas Global. Individual appointments are available to students with personal questions after having attended an Explore: The International Internship Program session.