Study Abroad Credit

Education Abroad Credit 101 YouTube Video playlist graphic.

Academic credit is a critical consideration when choosing to study abroad. Check out our four-part video series to guide you through the credit process, or review key information below.

Getting Credit

Students participating in McCombs Undergraduate Exchange Programs, Cockrell Undergraduate Exchange Programs, or Law School Exchange Programs should refer to these offices for credit details.

All other students follow the instructions in the expandable sections below.

Click here for a study abroad credit checklist.

Exploring Your Options

Consult with your academic advisor and education abroad program coordinator regarding fulfilling degree requirements while abroad.

Credit by Program Type

Faculty-Led Programs

  • Students register for a UT course led by UT faculty
  • Grades are computed into your overall UT GPA

Exchange Programs

  • Students register for UT “exchange placeholder” courses while abroad (ex. SAB 300)
  • Credits appear as in-residence credit on official UT transcripts
  • Grades will appear and are computed into overall UT GPA
  • Transcripts from exchange programs are received by Education Abroad and are transcribed from the foreign grading system to the UT letter grade

Affiliate Programs

  • Students register for UT “affiliate placeholder” courses while abroad (ex. AS 000)
  • Credits appear as transfer credits on official UT transcripts
  • Grades are not computed into your overall UT GPA
  • Students must make a C- or better to receive credit.
  • Some affiliate credit may count for residency hours. (see GI 2a & 2b)
My Credit Abroad Database

After speaking with your academic advisor to review your remaining degree requirements, search the My Credit Abroad database of 12,000+ courses. This is a historical record of courses other UT students have taken abroad and the UT course equivalent. Search by major, minor, core, flags, and certificate programs.

The My Credit Abroad database is not automatically updated with new courses. If you see courses listed on a program’s website that are not in the My Credit Abroad database, you can submit them to be added.

Course Evaluation Process

Submit course syllabi to be evaluated to find a UT equivalent match. If there is no equivalent match at UT, students are guaranteed to receive elective credit from the UT department that best matches the course. Submit a Course Evaluation Request at any time. Course evaluations take between four to six weeks depending on the department.

After Acceptance

Key information about credit is outlined in a CANVAS course in which you will be enrolled. You will also attend a Pre-Departure Orientation that further elaborates on these key credit steps:

Plan your course schedule

Make a list of the courses you plan to take during your semester abroad, including backups. Find courses on your host institution’s or program’s website. Keep in mind that not all programs will list available classes ahead of time and registration in a specific course is not guaranteed.

Determine what credit you will receive at UT

Check to see if your courses are in the My Credit Abroad Database. If your course is not listed, submit a Course Evaluation Request. UT faculty members review syllabi to find a UT equivalent match. If there is no equivalent match at UT, students are guaranteed to receive elective credit from the UT department that best matches the course. If you need a specific credit to stay on track to graduate, submit your syllabus early. Course evaluations take between four to six weeks depending on the department.

Register for classes

Once you’re accepted, you must register in Education Abroad “placeholder” courses. You’ll also register for courses directly with your host institution/program. You must be enrolled as a full-time student during your program abroad to receive financial aid. For Fall and Spring semester students, this means registering in the equivalent of 12 UT credit hours. For summer students, this will be the equivalent of 6 UT credit hours.

Understand International Course Weights

Many partner universities and programs record course credits based on the local education system. For example, European schools us the European Credit Transfer System. A five ECTS credit course is equal to a three UT Austin credit course. Your Education Abroad Program Coordinator will share your program’s credit weights with you during pre-departure orientation.

When You Return

Education Abroad must receive your official transcript from your host institution or abroad program. Timing of receipt of transcripts varies by program. It may take up to a long semester after you return to post your credit. Review the timeline below and discuss deadlines with your academic advisor and the Education Abroad Credit Team.

Semester AbroadTranscript Arrives at UTCredit ApprovedCredit Posted on UT Transcript
SummerMid-FallSeptember – OctoberOctober – December
FallMid-February – early AprilMarch – late AprilApril – May
SpringLate summer – early FallSeptember – OctoberNovember – December

Frequently Asked Questions

Have another question not included here? Reach out to the Credit Team at Education Abroad at!

Can I fulfill Core or Flag requirements while abroad?

Students may be able to fulfill Core and Flag requirements abroad by submitting their course syllabus for petition to the Undergraduate Studies office (UGS). Flag credit is not guaranteed and often requires petition upon return. Students should not expect to get Writing Flag credits from abroad courses.

Can I graduate the same semester I am studying abroad?

Yes, if you don’t need the credits from abroad for your degree requirements.

No, if the courses you are taking abroad are needed to fulfill your degree requirements.

Students cannot always graduate the semester immediately upon return because the credit may not be posted by the deadline to apply for graduation. Review the procedure for In Absentia Graduation/Registration with an advisor in your Dean’s office.

Semester AbroadTranscript Arrives at UTCredit posted on UT transcriptApplication for Graduation Deadline
SummerMid-FallOctober – DecemberMid-Oct – early Nov  
(Fall Graduation)
FallMid-February – early AprilApril – MayMid-March – early April  
(Spring Graduation)
SpringLate summer – early FallNovember – DecemberMid-July  
(Summer Graduation)
Can I take a course pass/fail while abroad?

Exchange programs – Yes. The student’s college or school sets the numbers of pass/fail courses allowed. After speaking with your UT academic advisor, if you decide to take a course pass/fail you must inform your Education Abroad Program Coordinator in writing by the date marking 60% of course completion in the host country. This deadline is different for each program and does not match the UT pass/fail deadline. Most colleges/schools do not allow pass/fail credits to count for major degree requirements.

Affiliated programs – No. Students must take all affiliate courses for a grade because they are transfer credit and require a C- or better to receive credit.

Faculty-led programs – Yes. Like any regular UT Austin course, you may take the course as pass/fail if offered in that mode by the faculty member.