Global Ambassador Program
By sharing your stories throughout your education abroad experience and encouraging others to study abroad, you play an important role in helping to internationalize the UT campus.
You can choose to be featured as a guest blogger or vlogger on the UT Education Abroad blog or to take over Texas Global social media channels. Global Ambassadors who complete program requirements will receive a Certificate of Global Engagement.
What Can You Do as a Global Ambassador?
As a Global Ambassador, you'll produce about five pieces of content throughout your international experience, with deadlines about once a month. What are some of the creative pieces you can share with Longhorn Nation about your time abroad?
- Take over Texas Global Education Abroad's Instagram Stories! Show us what your day looks like, from classes to dinner to exploring the sights. Check out Bailey's Instagram Stories takeover for inspiration.
- Write a blog post for the Education Abroad Blog. Describe your first impressions of your new home, any culture shock you experience, what your classes are like or the latest adventure you went on with your classmates. Read Afiya's blog post for more on her experience in Austria.
- Share a photo essay with pictures of your new campus, scenes from your walk to your internship, weekend trips to new cities, cultural landmarks, etc.
- Produce a video describing your experience, academics, concerns for the semester, etc. View Carleigh's vlog from Querétaro, Mexico about why she chose to study abroad.
Why be a Global Ambassador?
Inspire Other Longhorns to Take the World by the Horns
- Foster communication between students thinking of studying abroad and students currently studying abroad.
- Provide a forum for students to share their academic and intercultural experiences with staff and faculty in their departments, as well as friends, family, and prospective Longhorns.
- Better illustrate to study abroad candidates what to expect during their time abroad.
- Encourage reflection on the nature of study abroad.
Personal and Professional Benefits
- A reflective tool to document your time abroad.
- An effective way to keep friends and family back home informed of your thoughts and adventures
- Great training for the many times you will need to write a case statement, essay, etc.
- Resume builder for job interviews or graduate school.
Meet the Summer 2021 Global Ambassador
Linguistics, College of Liberal Arts
International Relations & Global Studies, College of Liberal Arts
Kylie is a rising senior Linguistics and International Relations & Global Studies double major from Corpus Christi, TX. She is excited to hone her Russian language skills in Ukraine this summer. Several of her niche museums Bucket List items in Ukraine include the Museum of Toilet History and the Museum of Smuggling, and she hopes to share them with the UT community. She is especially interested in the SRAS Geopolitics of Ukraine program, the prospect of connecting with like-minded peers, seeing and discussing geopolitical conflict in real time, and the opportunity to learn and to grow from Ukrainian culture.
Some Words of Wisdom
As a Global Ambassador, you represent Texas Global, UT Austin, Texas and the U.S. Therefore, you should avoid content that may be illegal, obscene, defamatory, threatening, infringing of intellectual property rights, invasive of privacy or otherwise injurious or objectionable. In addition, do not use the Texas Global brand to endorse or promote any product, opinion, cause or political candidate. You must also adhere to the University Code of Conduct and the Student Honor Code.
Finally, blogging and posting to social media are very public activities. Anything posted on the internet stays there--forever. Deleting a post simply removes it from the platform, but copies of the post may exist scattered all over the internet. As such, never link to something you haven’t read; when you link to something, you should make sure it is something you really want to be associated with, and always keep in mind that you are acting as an ambassador for study abroad at UT Austin. If you are unsure about posting something, ask! You shouldn’t post anything you wouldn't be comfortable with anyone viewing, from your parents to potential employers. Think before you post!
Check out the Education Abroad Blog to see what's new.
Tips for Recording VideoVideos are a great way to document and share your time abroad as a Global Ambassador. Here are some tips and tricks to recording high-quality videos.
Email email@example.com for more information.