Important Dates for Exchange Students
To comply with immigration requirements, you’ll need to complete the Exchange Student Check-In (IBC) once you arrive in Austin. You will not be able to register for classes until you have completed the check-in process in myIO.
In addition, we have an orientation for all new international students that provides valuable information about UT and the Austin area. We provide many social events that allow students to explore UT, Austin and Texas.
- March 1 - Applications for fall 2019 exchange students due.
- Aug. 15 - This is the start date that will be listed on your DS-2019. You may enter the United States up to 30 days prior to this date. Students should visit the Immunization Clinic for newly arriving students at the University Health Center as soon as possible after arrival to remove the medical clearance bar.
- Aug. 16 - International Student Orientation.
- To Be Determined - Exchange Student Check-In. All exchange students are required to complete the Check-In process in myIO.
- To Be Determined - Exchange Student Reception. Snacks and a chance to meet fellow exchange students.
- Aug. 23 - Registration Begins. Check your Registration Information Sheet (RIS) for your specific access period. Please note that you will be able to register only if you have cleared your bars, including Exchange Check-In, by this date.
- Aug. 27 - Payment Deadline. While reciprocal exchange students pay tuition at their home universities, there will be a health insurance fee and an international student fee on the tuition and fee bill page. Even if no fees appear on your fee bill, you must confirm your enrollment or “zero fee bill” to finalize registration. If payment arrangements or confirmation of your zero fee bill are not made by 5 p.m. on this date, your course registration will be dropped.
- Aug. 28 - Fall Classes Begin.
- To Be Determined - Exchange Volunteer Project. Here is a chance to give back to the local community. We will be distributing food to the needy at a nearby food pantry. A link to sign up will be sent by email.
- Sept. 11 - Education Abroad Fair, 10 am to 3 pm Gregory Plaza. UT students will be looking for study abroad programs. Volunteer to answer questions about your home country and university.
- Dec. 21 - For students whose last semester is fall 2019, this date will be listed as the end date on your DS-2019. You may stay in the United States in J-1 status up to 30 days beyond this date. The end date cannot be extended for travel purposes. If you depart the U.S. after this date you may not reenter in J-1 status.
- Mid-Feb. - Unofficial grade reports sent to home universities. Students requiring an official transcript should order it directly from the Registrar.