General Tax Information

As an international student or scholar, much of your U.S.-sourced income is subject to taxation. It is a federal obligation to file a tax return if you earned U.S.-sourced income as a nonresident alien. A tax return is a compilation of various tax forms that compares what an international student or scholar paid in taxes against what the U.S. government calculates the student/scholar should have paid in taxes during the prior calendar year.

There are two different tax statuses for an international student or scholar: resident alien for tax purposes and nonresident alien for tax purposes. These tax statuses are significant because they determine what U.S. tax laws you will follow. The tax laws for the nonresident aliens for tax purposes are much different from the tax laws for resident aliens for tax purposes. Filing under the incorrect tax designation may result in taxes owed back to the government, so it is important to know your status to file correctly. These tax statuses are not the same as your current immigration status or your Texas residency.

Helpful Links

Tax Treaties

View information about Tax Treaties.


Apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

U.S. Resident Tax Return

File a resident U.S. tax return.

Prior Year Tax Return

Find tax return forms from prior years.

Social Security Medicare Tax Refund

Apply for a refund of Social Security Medicare Taxes.

State Income Taxes

File state income taxes - the website is a collection of state tax filing requirements. Look for specific information about filing personal state income tax.

UT W-2 Form

Download your UT W-2 Form.

UT 1042-S Form

Inquire about your UT 1042-S Form.

Tax Transcript

Request a tax return transcript from a prior year.