You will need your UT EID and password in order to access the code.
Non-Resident Tax Preparation Software
ISSS has purchased a license agreement for the GLACIER Tax Prep (GTP) software to assist you and your dependents prepare nonresident alien U.S. tax returns. GLACIER Tax Prep is available for UT international students and scholars, as well as their dependents.
Glacier Tax Prep is able to:
- Determine whether you are a nonresident alien or resident alien for tax purposes
- Determine eligible tax deductions, credits, and allowances
- Review eligibility to claim tax treaty benefits
- Calculate tax refund or tax due to the IRS
- Prepare all required federal tax forms and statements for both the international student/scholar and their dependents
Make sure you have the following items before using GLACIER Tax Prep:
1. Any income tax documents you received for the appropriate tax year (Form W-2, Form 1042-S, etc.)
- The Form W-2 displays wages. Employees of UT can access their Form W-2 at the Payroll website.
- The Form 1042-S displays scholarships, fellowships, and income exempted by tax treaty. This form will be mailed out by 03/15/2019. If you were due a Form 1042-S, and have not received it, please contact email@example.com after 03/15/2019.
- You will receive income forms only for the income types you received. For example, those without jobs for 2018 will not receive a 2018 Form W-2, etc.
2. A U.S. tax identification number (either ITIN or SSN) for both yourself and dependents* you wish to claim on your tax return.
- You do not need a tax identification number if you did not earn any U.S. income in current tax year (2018)
- *Only students from Mexico, India, Canada, and South Korea are able to claim their dependents on their tax returns under specific circumstances.
4. History of arrivals and departures for the U.S.
- You can access your travel history from the past 5 years online from the I-94 website.
5. Copy of last year's nonresident tax return, if you filed a return
Please make sure you have all your income documents before starting GLACIER Tax Prep to avoid filing your taxes incorrectly.
GLACIER Tax Prep Access Code
Texas Global at UT Austin is an IRS VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) site that offers free tax assistance to nonresident aliens who need help to prepare their own tax return.
Our tax advising is focused on providing assistance in understanding filing instructions, how to navigate GLACIER Tax Prep, and general questions regarding nonresident taxes. Any specific tax situations that cannot be addressed by our volunteers will need to be discussed with a licensed professional tax advisor.
All volunteers have completed training through the IRS VITA program and as such are protected from liability under the Volunteer Protection Act. The taxpayer is ultimately responsible for the information on their tax returns.
Need Further Tax Help?
Volunteer tax assistance is offered by Texas Global staff members who have been trained to serve as IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) volunteers during the tax season. Our services are focused on reviewing the tax forms that you have already completed or answering questions that prevent you from completing your tax return.
Appointments must be made in order to meet with a volunteer. No walk-ins will be seen.
To schedule a tax appointment, the following must apply:
- You have already completed your tax return through GLACIER Tax Prep (GTP) and have printed & completed the tax forms to the best of your ability, or
- You have a question that is preventing you from completing your tax return.
What to Bring:
- Your printed tax return forms that you have already completed via GTP, and
- Any income forms (Form 1042-S, Form W-2, etc.) used on your tax return
- Any other relevant tax forms
Schedule a tax appointment by following the instructions below:
- Go to myIO page.
- Log in.
- Select an available date in bold on the calendar and time of event that suits your schedule. If no slots fit your schedule, please consider attending Tax Lab for assistance.
Amended/Prior Year Tax Return Assistance
Texas Global and Volunteer Tax assistance are unable to assist with Amended Taxes and have limited support for Prior Year Tax Returns.
Nonresident aliens for tax purposes who have failed to file a prior year tax return may have options on GLACIER Tax Prep. You will be able to access blank tax forms to fill out on your own or purchase access to GLACIER Tax Prep prior year software to help fill out the forms.
For amended taxes, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for suggestions on resources to assist you.
For additional questions, please contact email@example.com. Keep in mind that it may take 24 to 72 hours to get a response during the busy tax season.