First Abroad Scholarship
The First Abroad Scholarship supports first-generation students planning for a study abroad experience. It is a one-time scholarship of $3,000 used to fund participation in a UT-approved study abroad program. We will award 25 students in the 2021-22 school year.
This scholarship is ideal for first-generation students that know they want to study abroad but have not yet chosen a program. Recipients work with a program coordinator to explore options, learn about funding opportunities, and establish an academic plan for education abroad.
You are eligible for the First Abroad scholarship if the following describes you:
- You are a first-generation college student (neither parent has a 4-year college degree)
- This is your first time in college (i.e. you did not transfer after a year at another institution)
- Your first semester at UT will be fall 2021
- You have a current FAFSA on file with UT Austin
- You are not a recipient of the Hutchison International Scholarship
Awards are intended to be used during the standard four years of an undergraduate education.
- Awards are announced in December 2021 and are available for use starting the next fall 2022.
- These awards are considered planning scholarships and are not intended for spring programs, including Maymesters, immediately following the award announcements.
- Awards are to be used within a student's standard four years at UT. Funds are not to be used to extend graduation.
Applications are open and due by 11:59 PM on Friday, November 19, 2021. Late applications will not be accepted. Scholarship notifications will be made in mid-December via email.
Frequently Asked Questions
Download the First Abroad FAQs sheet to learn more.