The First Abroad Scholarship supports first-generation students planning for a study abroad experience. It is a one-time scholarship of $3,000 used to fund participation in a UT-approved study abroad program. We will award 25 students in the 2020-21 school year.
This scholarship is ideal for first-generation students that know they want to study abroad, but have not yet chosen a program. Recipients work with an advisor to explore program options, learn about funding opportunities, and establish an academic plan for study abroad.
You are eligible for the First Abroad scholarship if the following describes you:
- You are a first-generation college student (neither parent has a 4-year college degree)
- This is your first time in college (i.e. you did not transfer after a year at another institution)
- Your first semester at UT was fall 2019 or will be fall 2020
- You have a current FAFSA on file with UT Austin
- You have not studied abroad before while at UT
- You are not a recipient of the Hutchison International Scholarship
Awards are intended to be used during the standard four years of an undergraduate education.
- Awards are announced in fall and are available for use starting the next fall.
- These awards are considered planning scholarships are not for spring long or spring maymesters immediately following the award announcements.
- Awards are to be used within a student's standard four years at UT. Funds are not to be used to extend graduation.
Applications are due by 11:59 PM on Monday, September 14, 2020. Late applications will not be accepted. We anticipate that scholarship notifications will be made in mid-October via email. Applications for the next competition will open on June 1, 2020.