This 4-6 week program provides intensive training to groups of 10 or more in teachers of English as a Foreign Language in primary, secondary, and university-level education in their home country context.
We are not currently accepting applications for individual applicants.
- Classroom Observations: Participants will have an opportunity to observe English Language Center classes taught by members of UT English Language Center’ experienced faculty.
- Weekly Volunteering: UT English Language Center partners with local non-profit organizations to provide service-learning experiences in an effort to foster language, community, and cultural understanding.
- Local Field Trips: Participants will enjoy weekly cultural excursions and events to Austin attractions.
- Weekend Field Trips: Participants will have a chance to visit other Texas cities on weekend excursions.
- Evening Outings: Participants will have one planned evening activity each week with Americans to get to know Austin and see how people spend their free time.
- Conversation Groups: Weekly conversation groups with American conversation partners will allow the participants to apply their English skills in an informal setting.
Participants typically attend classes from 9:00 to 12:00 and 2:00 to 5:00 four days per week for a total of 24 weekly contact hours. The fifth day of the week is dedicated to classroom observations, volunteering and local field trips.
Class topics include:
- English Language Center Methodology and Second Language Acquisition
- Technology in Language Learning
- Communicative Language Teaching and Speaking Exercises
- Academic Writing Skills
- Teaching Grammar
- US Culture and Idioms
- Special Topics Guest Speaker Series (consisting of professors from The University of Texas and experienced teachers in the field of English Language Center on topics such as teaching pronunciation, motivation, vocal performance, hot topics in second language acquisition, beliefs about language learning, and habits of successful teachers.
Closing Reception and Program Certificate
At the conclusion of program, Texas Global hosts a closing reception recognizing accomplishments of each participant.
We handle all program logistics, including visa issuance, health insurance, lodging and transportation.
English Language Center issues DS-2019 forms for participants to apply for J-1 visas for entry into the United States.
Health insurance is included as a part of this program, enabling program participants to access the UT University Health Services, local hospitals and clinics.
Upon arrival, English Language Center staff provides a specially designed orientation covering academic, social, and cultural aspects of this program as well as information about The University of Texas at Austin and available facilities. The orientation also includes a walking campus tour and visit to local historical, cultural and recreational sites around the city of Austin.
Participants stay at a private dormitory within walking distance to the UT campus. Dormitories with 24-hour security services offer facilities for both men and women. Each participant will share a bedroom with participants of the same gender. A full-service cafeteria and 19 meals per week are provided (3 each weekday and 2 on weekends). Laundry facilities are available on site. A swimming pool, fitness center, TV rooms and general-purpose lounges are also available.
To request a Teacher Training Institute at UT Austin, contact the special programs coordinator at email@example.com.