Teacher Training Institute
This 4-6-week program provides intensive training for teachers of English as a Foreign Language in primary, secondary and university-level education.
- Comprehensive curriculum for communicative language teaching practices
- Teaching practice, lesson planning skills, and class observations
- Distinguished, certified TEFL trainers and dedicated support staff
- Communicative language practice with native English speakers
- Weekly excursions and cultural enrichment activities
- UT-TEFL certificate and closing reception
The Teacher Training Institute consists of 120 program hours. Participants will attend classes four days per week. The fifth day of the week is dedicated to classroom observations, volunteering and local field trips.
- ESL/EFL Methodology and Second Language Acquisition
- Technology in Language Learning
- Communicative Language Teaching and Speaking Exercises
- Teaching Reading and Writing
- Teaching Grammar
- U.S. Culture and Idioms
- Current Trends in Language Teaching
The English Language Center issues DS-2019 forms for participants to apply for J-1 visas for entry into the United States.
Health insurance is included as a part of this program, enabling program participants to access the UT University Health Services, local hospitals and clinics.
Upon arrival, English Language Center staff provides a specially designed orientation covering academic, social, and cultural aspects of this program as well as information about The University of Texas at Austin and available facilities. The orientation also includes a walking campus tour and visit to local historical, cultural and recreational sites around the city of Austin.
Room and Board
Participants stay at a private dormitory within walking distance to the UT campus. Dormitories with 24-hour security services offer facilities for both men and women. Each participant will share a bedroom with participants of the same gender. A full-service cafeteria and 19 meals per week are provided. Laundry facilities are available on site. A swimming pool, fitness center, TV rooms and general-purpose lounges are also available.