About the English Language Center
The English Language Center offers programs at every proficiency level to provide students, visiting scholars and professionals with high-quality English language training and opportunities to broaden their cultural awareness.
History and Background
The University of Texas at Austin (UT) has supported an English language program since 1965. As part of the university, the English Language Center provides instruction and programs that are critical to UT’s mission and equip English learners with skills they need to succeed in their academic and professional pursuits.
We offer students a number of benefits, including:
- Highly qualified teaching staff with decades of experience
- Small class sizes for personalized attention
- Numerous resources for students to further their practice outside the classroom
- Opportunities for academic growth, research, collaboration and advancement
- Social activities that create community, build language proficiency and make you feel at home
- Diverse student population
- Academic and immigration advising and workshops
- Access to UT's many libraries and facilities
With options ranging from a few weeks to a full year, our programs include:
- Academic English Program (AEP)
- English Language Program (ELP)
- Intermediate and advanced oral communication and academic writing for UT graduate students
- ITA preparation and support courses for international teaching assistants and assistant instructors
- Training for teachers of English as a Second Language
- Customized programs
- International Academy, English + classes in your choice of 11 areas of study
- Self-paced courses in writing and pronunciation
The UT Advantage
Our classes are offered on the campus of The University of Texas at Austin, one of the top-ranked public universities in the United States and the world. UT Austin is a welcoming and diverse community with more than 5,300 international students and 1,500 international scholars each year. The large, vibrant campus offers superior facilities and technology to give you the best experience and support you throughout your program. When you come to UT to study at the English Language Center, you'll find a university committed to being truly international and providing all the support you need to reach your goals.
Not only will you have the advantage of being on the UT campus, but you’ll also have access to everything the city of Austin has to offer. One of the fastest-growing cities in the country, Austin is a young and diverse city known for live music, unique culture, technology, entrepreneurship and opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts.