two people work on laptops on a chair

Funding and Scholarships

Looking for funding and scholarships? Pursuing education in the U.S. can be expensive. It is important to inform yourself about any financial aid opportunities available. On this page, you will find suggestions about various options to explore.

On-Campus Employment

If you're studying with us on an F-1 (student) visa, you are eligible to work up to 20 hours per week at The University of Texas at Austin. During school breaks, you may work up to 40 hours per week on campus, as long as you are continuing your studies with us. A variety of jobs and shifts are available, depending on your skills and experience.

Learn more in the On-Campus Employment for English Language Center Students information sheet (PDF).

Scholarships for Current Students

Each semester, we award two scholarships for outstanding English Language Center students who continue their studies with us for another semester. These merit-based scholarships cover half of intensive tuition. The scholarship application is sent out to our students mid-semester, and the winners are announced at the end of the semester, at our final reception. 

Aid From Your Home Country

Some of the best sources of financial aid to study in the U.S. are organizations in your own home country. Your government may have financial aid available. Contact the cultural section of your embassy or your ministry of education to learn more.

There may also be private organizations in your home country that provide support for study in the U.S., such as businesses, foundations, and religious groups.

Aid From the U.S. Government

Aid is available from the U.S. government for students from specific countries. The best way to find out if there is any financial aid from the U.S. for students from your country is to contact your embassy, Education USA, or the Agency for International Development.

Segal AmeriCorps Education Award

CELTA applicants who have completed AmeriCorps service may use their Segal AmeriCorps Education Award to pay for CELTA tuition, books, and related expenses. Instructions on how to use your award are linked on the AmeriCorps site.

Other Scholarships, Fellowships and Awards

The following websites provide information about financial aid available to qualifying international students. Each website also has a search engine for scholarships and awards, which you can use to do a personalized search. Visit the following websites and see what’s out there for you:


The following websites provide information about loans available to international students. Policies regarding loans for international students depend on the organizations providing them. Some are private organizations that offer educational loans to qualifying students. Some loans require that you are degree-seeking student and/or have a U.S. citizen or permanent resident act as your guarantor.