Export Control

Travel outside the U.S. can present export control issues for UT students, faculty, and staff. For more information, visit the Office of Sponsored Projects' Export Control page or read their handout (PDF).

There are government regulations that affect:

  • Taking items with you on a trip in support of your work or conference such as:
    • Laptops
    • Encryption products
    • Data/technology
    • Blueprints, drawings, schematics
  • Supplying certain technologies/data at a "closed" conference or meeting (not open to all technically qualified members of the public, and attendees are not permitted to take notes)
  • Money transactions and the exchange of goods and services in certain countries
  • Travel to sanctioned/embargoed countries
  • Doing business with certain people or entities

A license could be required from the Departments of Commerce, State, or Treasury depending on what you are taking and the country you are traveling to. Another aspect to consider is that a license could also be required if you are providing a defense service to a foreign person.

Contact David Ivey, Associate Director and University Export Control Officer in the Office of Sponsored Projects, if you have any questions regarding export control issues related to your projects or travel outside the U.S. He can be reached at 512-475-7963 or by email at ivey@austin.utexas.edu.