Want to improve your English but can't come to the UT campus? We offer two online courses: Intermediate Writing and Pronunciation. These courses give you the flexibility to study where you like and when you like.
This course lasts 14 weeks and is targeted at intermediate level writers. You receive ongoing feedback from your instructor. The textbook is provided as part of your tuition for the course, and every week we go over a new chapter.
- How to write an academic paragraph with topic, supporting and concluding sentences
- How to use correct grammar, punctuation and formatting in your English writing
- How to find and correct common writing mistakes
- How to write American style emails
- How to write comments for social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter
- Watch daily instructional videos that explain and add to the textbook
- Develop your writing and grammar abilities through daily homework
- Exchange weekly emails with other classmates
- Write seven multi-draft projects (six paragraphs and one essay) that will be evaluated by your classmates and instructor
Watch the sample video to see if this course is the right one for you.
- July 6 - October 9, 2020
- August 3 - November 6, 2020
- September 7 - December 11, 2020
- January 4 - April 9, 2021
Tuition is refundable, minus a $15 administrative fee, if you drop the course prior to the first class day. See the refund policy for The University of Texas for full details. Please note that if we have already shipped you the textbook, we will keep $100 in addition to the $15 administrative fee.
Intermediate to Low-Advanced Pronunciation
This course lasts 7 weeks and is targeted to intermediate to low-advanced speakers. You receive ongoing feedback from your instructor.
- How to speak more clearly so that others can understand you more easily
- How to use a variety of online learning tools to improve your pronunciation
- How to self-correct your pronunciation
- How to use listening as a way to improve pronunciation
- Complete 28 one-hour modules (4 hours a week for 7 weeks)
- Overview and practice I: consonants, vowels, syllables, and word stress (classes 1-13)
- Have a personal, live interview with your teacher (class 14)
- Overview and practice II: rhythm, thought groups, focus words, intonation, and linking (classes 15-28)
- Make a video/audio recording of yourself practicing these things in every lesson
- Get direct teacher feedback about your pronunciation as a part of every lesson
Watch the sample video and see if this course is the right one for you.
- July 6 - August 21, 2020
- August 3 - September 18, 2020
- September 7 - October 23, 2020
- November 2 - December 18, 2020
Tuition is refundable, minus a $15 administrative fee, if you drop the course prior to the first class day. See the refund policy for The University of Texas for full details.