Mexico City at dusk.

Faculty and Staff Travel

Find guidance and requirements pertaining to university-related international travel below.

Special Notice: Traveling with Students

If you will be leading a group of students abroad, you are required to complete the Safety Assessment for International Group Experiences (SAIGE) process. A group is defined as two or more travelers. 

1. Required to register their travel with Texas Global, and

2. Work with college/school staff to submit and obtain an approved Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) if they expect to be reimbursed for expenses.

University-Related International Travel

Prior to departing on a university-related international trip, all faculty and staff are required to complete the following steps.

Pre-Departure Steps

  1. Request Restricted Regions Travel Approval.

    If destination(s) is on the Restricted Regions List, you must apply and request approval from the International Oversight Committee (IOC).

  2. Complete a Request for Travel Authorization (RTA).

    All travelers should submit an electronic Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) for business travel. 

  3. Register trip in the emergency medical and security assistance services.

    Register your trip in the emergency medical and security assistance services (International SOS – ISOS) for the duration of your trip. Use one of the following methods to enroll:

    You must have a MyTrips account in existence before forwarding confirmation.  If you DO NOT currently have a MyTrips account, go to ISOS MyTrips and create a New User account. If you have any difficulties with the login, contact

  4. Understand how ISOS and your insurance will work together for emergency care only while you are abroad.

    • In order to waive the Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) Global Core Insurance deductible, you must contact ISOS to request assistance and establish a case # before obtaining medical assistance.  Note: If you do not have UT System BC/BS, speak with your insurance provider before departure. This is for emergency care only.
    • BC/BS has an out-of-network deductible, but agreed to waive the deductible, and pay case fees and necessary medical expenses for emergency medical treatment if ISOS is called first to coordinate, monitor, and pay for care. This DOES NOT include elective or routine medical procedures.
    • Use UT Member # 11BSGC000037 to access and utilize the ISOS resources to:
      • Obtain pre-trip information or advice on travel health and security issue.
      • Assistance finding medical assistance.
      • Create an Emergency Record to securely store important documents.
      • Receive alerts and travel/security advice while abroad.
      • Learn about the many other benefits available to you.
    • Carry the ISOS contact card with you at all times. To obtain a laminated version email, or log onto ISOS and print the card found at upper right of webpage.
  5. Register your trip in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

    Registering in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) will inform the U.S. Embassy you are in-country and allow them to email you alerts and travel/security advice while abroad.

    Non-U.S. citizens will register their trip in their home country’s equivalent of STEP.

Countries NOT Covered by ISOS Policy

  • Afghanistan    
  • Iran
  • Iraq    
  • North Korea
  • Offshore vessels


Texas Global Resources

Emergency Phone Numbers

U.S. Department of State CDC Destination Guide
ISOS Member Resources Travel Management Services CDC Traveler Advice
Texas Global Passport Office Travel Reimbursements Travel Requests (HOP 3-1210)
Global Risk & Safety Updates Foreign Exchange Rate (OANDA) Other Useful Resources
Travel Safety 101 Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) Travel Policies
Individual Conflicts of Interest (HOP 5-2010) Safety & Security Resources for Faculty OSAC Travel Safety Reference Guide
Export Control Information Security Office  


Health and Safety Resources

What happens if you get sick or hurt while abroad? What if you lose your passport? What if there's an earthquake or political conflict in the country where you’re traveling? Knowing you have resources to deal with emergencies as they arise takes a lot of the uncertainty out of traveling abroad.