Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources
Updated Oct. 20, 2020
Contact Texas Global
Staff is currently working remotely to provide advising and services. Please visit our Contact page for more information.
Stay informed on immigration updates and remote resources available to international students and scholars.
Find the latest information, frequently asked questions, and resources related to Education Abroad and COVID-19.
New Travel Guidelines in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
The prohibition on university-sanctioned domestic travel for business or study is extended through May 31, 2021. Decisions about the policy after May 31, 2021 will be announced on or before March 12, 2021.
For international travel, the prohibition on university-sanctioned travel for business or study has been extended through August 31, 2021. Decisions about the policy after August 31, 2021 will be announced on or before May 15, 2021.
Exceptions will be processed by deans or vice presidents for domestic travel and by Texas Global for international travel.
- Requests for domestic travel will be approved by the college’s/school's/unit’s Dean or Vice President; it is expected that precautions for travel will have been considered with concrete steps planned to mitigate health risks.
- All air travel and rental cars must be booked through UT Contracted travel agencies or Concur.
- University funds may not be used to cover cancellation fees for meeting registrations or for travel booked outside of UT contracted travel agencies or Concur.
On August 6, 2020, the U.S. Department of State and the CDC rescinded their blanket global health advisories for COVID-19 that included all countries worldwide. Now, both the USDOS and CDC rate each country individually. Most countries are classified as either a “Level 4: Do Not Travel" or a “Level 3: Reconsider Travel” due to COVID-19.
As of July 1, 2020, faculty/staff/students (whether paid by UT or external sources) seeking to travel will be able to do so based on the following:
- Faculty/staff/students must petition for international travel through the university’s Restricted Regions process and submit a supplemental COVID-19 travel waiver. Approved travelers will need to follow all quarantine requirements in the destination country and upon return to the U.S., Austin, and the UT campus.
- Visitors/researchers/scholars wishing to travel to campus from abroad will need to seek approval from the corresponding college/school's Dean or Vice President. All visitors will be subject to the same quarantine provisions as UT Austin approved travelers returning from abroad.
- All international visiting delegations coordinated by Texas Global are suspended through August 31, 2021.
Guidance Upon Return from Abroad
Returning travelers should follow the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. If you travel internationally, follow the guidance below for 14 days, upon your return:
- Practice social distancing. If you go outside, stay away from crowded places, avoid group gatherings, and maintain distance (~6 feet) from others.
- Wear a mask that covers your mouth and nose when outside your home.
- Monitor your health. You can learn more about what do if you become sick after traveling here.
- Wash your hands often or use hand sanitizer.
Texas Global communications to campus
Texas Global communications to campus concerning COVID-19 (coronavirus):
Presidential Proclamation Concerning H-1B Visas
June 23, 2020
Immigration Update: Presidential Proclamation
June 3, 2020
Cancellation of All Education Abroad Programs
Mar. 11, 2020
COVID-19 Update: Italy Travel Restrictions
Feb. 28, 2020
COVID-19 Update: Korea Travel Restrictions
Feb. 25, 2020
Message of Support to our International Community
Feb. 14, 2020
Message to UT Community: China Travel Restrictions
Jan. 29, 2020
UHS Communications to Campus
Central location for all updates and guidance from the university