Free English Classes
The UT CELTA ESL classes are taught by teachers-in-training during their CELTA certification course, and accredited CELTA trainers oversee all the classes. CELTA stands for the Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Speakers of Other Languages, and it is the most widely recognized certificate program for teaching English in the world.
Priority is given to refugees and asylum seekers. Classes are for adults only. The classes are free; participants must purchase a textbook (approximately $50).
How many students are there?
There can be a maximum of 40 students in the program per session.
How many levels are there?
The classes are pre-intermediate and upper intermediate levels, and are not intended for true beginners or UT undergraduate and graduate students.
Will I receive a course certificate?
A certificate of completion will be awarded at the end of each session to students who have attendance of 75% or higher.
Registration & Placement Testing
If you took the placement test in the past and are still interested in taking our classes, please send us an email. If you attended more than 75% of classes in the past, there is a good chance that you can attend again. If you took the test but stayed on the waitlist, please let us know your current availability and we can let you know where you are on the waitlist.
Fill out the new student free ESL classes registration form and we will contact you to schedule online testing and see if there is space at your level.
When do classes meet?
- June 5 - June 30, 2023, Monday - Friday, 5 - 7:15 p.m. on UT campus
- July 5 - August 1, 2023, Monday - Friday, 5 - 7:15 p.m. on UT campus
- October 23 – November 17, 2023, Monday - Friday, 5 - 7:15 p.m. on UT campus
- May 6 - May 31, 2024, Monday - Friday, 5 - 7:15 p.m. on UT campus
- June 3 - June 28, 2024, Monday - Friday, 5 - 7:15 p.m. on UT campus
- July 1 - July 26, 2024, Monday - Friday, 5 - 7:15 p.m. on UT campus
Please join our mailing list for announcements about registration, classes, and schedules.
Other questions? Email CELTA@austin.utexas.edu.