Free English Classes
The UT CELTA ESL classes are taught by teachers-in-training during their CELTA certification course, and accredited CELTA trainers oversee all the classes. CELTA stands for the Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Speakers of Other Languages, and it is the most widely recognized certificate program for teaching English in the world.
Priority is given to refugees and asylum seekers. Classes are for adults only. The classes are free; participants must purchase a textbook (approximately $50).
How many students are there?
There can be a maximum of 40 students in the program per session.
How many levels are there?
The classes are pre-intermediate and upper intermediate levels, and are not intended for true beginners or UT undergraduate and graduate students.
Will I receive a course certificate?
A certificate of completion will be awarded at the end of each session to students who have attendance of 75% or higher.
Registration & Placement Testing
Returning students (individuals who have taken a course in the past AND had at least 70% attendance) are not required to attend registration and placement testing for our upcoming classes. Returning students will be contacted individually by email to apply for our upcoming sessions. If you haven't received an email from us lately, you can fill out this form to express your interest.
Fill out this form and we will contact you to schedule online testing and see if there is space at your level.
When do classes meet?
- September 7 - October 2, 2020, Monday through Friday, 2:00 - 4:00pm, via Zoom
- October 12 - 23, 2020, Monday through Friday, 2:00 - 4:00pm, via Zoom
- October 26 - November 20, 2020, Monday through Friday, 2:00 - 4:00pm, via Zoom
- February 1 - 26, 2021, Monday through Friday, 2:00 - 4:00pm, on the UT campus
- March 8 - 19, 2021, Monday through Friday, 2:00 - 4:00pm, on the UT campus
- April 5 - 30, 2021, Monday through Friday, 2:00 - 4:00pm, on the UT campus
Please join our mailing list for announcements about registration, classes, and schedules.
Other questions? Email CELTA@austin.utexas.edu.