As mentioned in the Safety Update published on January 9, 2018, the U.S. State Department has replaced Travel Warnings and Alerts with a color-coded, numerical rating system of Travel Advisories for every country. All countries have a U.S. State Department Travel Advisory with an overall rating between 1-4.
This new rating system has been incorporated into the internal UT Austin risk rating structure which includes International SOS Global Risk Ratings and CDC Travel Health Notice Warning Level 3 issuances. The UT Austin ratings will continue to be Category 1 through 4, with 4 applying to students only (no faculty/staff requests are required for countries listed as Category 4).
- Category 1 – Extreme Risk: All international locations with an ISOS Extreme Risk Rating; U.S. State Department Advisory Level 4: Do not travel.
- Category 2 – High Risk: All international locations with an ISOS High Risk rating; U.S. State Department Travel Advisory Level 3: Reconsider travel; all locations with a CDC Travel Health Notice: Warning Level 3.
- Category 3 – Medium Risk: In a country with an overall U.S. State Department Travel Advisory Level 2 or 1, and a regional ISOS risk rating of medium or low, a region with U.S. State Department Travel Advisory recommendation of ‘Do not travel’ or ‘Reconsider travel’.
- Category 4 – Variable Risk: For countries where some, but not all, of the country has a UT Austin Category 1 -3 region, the remaining regions are Category 4. (Category 4 does not apply to faculty and staff)
To implement the new changes to the Restricted Regions list, those who have approval for upcoming travel or are in the process of completing a request form are grandfathered in as long as there are no significant changes to safety, security, or health risks.
- New Restricted Regions List
- Previous list
- Comparison of the previous list and the new Restricted Regions list
Any forms submitted after 23:59 on Wednesday, February 28 will need to follow the modified UT Restricted Regions list.
For questions please email IOC@austin.utexas.edu.