Frequently Asked Questions

About Global Risk & Safety

Global Risk & Safety is a unit within UT’s Texas Global dedicated to the well-being of UT students, faculty, and staff abroad. We monitor worldwide travel conditions and distribute safety resources to assist travelers on official university travel. While we are not technically a part of Education Abroad, we work very closely with them, especially during a crisis.

Global Risk & Safety is always monitoring world events and news. The moment we hear about an emergency abroad where UT travelers are located, we start contacting those people to make sure they are okay and do not need any assistance. This is why it’s very important to respond to any emails or phone calls you get from us – otherwise, we will start contacting your emergency contacts. We also work very closely with Education Abroad during these instances.

Yes! We host workshops on the Restricted Regions policy/process and workshops on the Global Travel policy/overseas insurance information. View all of our upcoming events here.

Depending on the emergency, there are several things you can do. First, if appropriate, you can contact the emergency services number in your country (the equivalent to 911). Or, you can contact International SOS at (215) 942-8478. Additionally, you can contact the UT Police Department at (512) 471-4441. All lines are 24/7 and calls will be immediately routed to the appropriate Texas Global crisis manager. Our email address for emergencies is

Contact the Global Risk & Safety team in the UT Texas Global at (512) 232-9581. Our business hours are 8am to 5pm CST, Monday through Friday. You can also email for questions/concerns related to Restricted Regions, or for insurance or non-Restricted Regions travel.

Overseas Insurance/Non-Restricted Regions Travel

International SOS (ISOS) is UT’s international insurance coverage program. It costs $19 per week and includes International Travel Accident & Sickness Insurance administered by ACE/Chubb Insurance, International SOS emergency assistance coverage, and general liability coverage. It is MANDATORY for all students traveling abroad for UT-affiliated activities. For more information, contact or visit our webpage.

Only if there is an emergency and we cannot get a hold of you. This is why it is very important to respond to any emails or phone calls you receive from us.

Insurance is billed in one-week blocks. For example, a trip duration of five weeks and one day would round up to six weeks of insurance charges. Overseas insurance only applies for the days you are physically in the country, not travel days or personal travel.

Yes. Please email with your EID and program dates, and we will provide one for you.

Email with your EID and program dates, and we will provide one for you.

If you are a citizen of the country you are traveling to, upload a picture of your passport here.

ITR stands for International Travel Registry. It is our system for registering student travelers who have not completed any action within the Education Abroad (MyAbroad) Portal, which typically means the travel or research falls outside of a traditional study abroad program. The ITR is used to locate and reach out to students in the event of an emergency. This registry automatically enrolls students in overseas insurance coverage and also updates the International SOS Travel Tracker system, which authorizes you for assistance services. If you did not complete any actions within the MyAbroad Portal, this will be the final step after ITRAF or Restricted Regions approval.

It is UT System policy that all students on UT-affiliated travel be covered by UT Overseas Insurance coverage. Through this process, the university aims to enroll students in an adequate base of coverage for medical and security evacuations and accident/sickness insurance should crises arise. It is not uncommon for students participating in study and research abroad be double-covered in terms of international accident and sickness insurance, as many affiliate programs and host countries require separate coverage.

Restricted Regions

UT Austin’s IOC encourages international travel and developed its travel policy in the best interest of maintaining the safety and well-being of its students, faculty, and staff traveling abroad. While all travel abroad has inherent risks, some parts of the world pose heightened risks to the health and safety of travelers. Submitting a Restricted Regions request pushes you to do the research and due diligence needed to learn about the region you’re traveling to and how to best mitigate risks.

Requests should be sent as soon as possible, but typically at least six weeks in advance of the proposed departure date. Deadlines can be found here.

The process can take several weeks, depending on the amount of requests we are currently reviewing. Our peak times tend to be mid-October to mid-December, and early March to mid-May. This is why it is best to submit your request as soon as possible.

Yes, your Dean or Chair can sign the forms in several different ways, including through DocuSign or Adobe PDF. They can also sign it by hand, so long as the form is scanned and sent as a PDF. This applies to the student signature sections as well.

If you are traveling to your home country for reasons other than strictly personal travel, you are still required to fill out a Restricted Regions Travel Request. However, if you are just going home for the holidays and will not be conducting any UT-affiliated business or research, no paperwork or travel registration is required.

A list of current Chairs and Deans for each department/school can be found here.

Please notify us at as soon as possible. More action may need to be taken depending on the circumstances. If it is a location that is a higher category than your original request, you may be required to fill out another form or provide supplementary content.

If you are traveling to your home country for reasons other than strictly personal travel, you are still required to fill out a Restricted Regions Travel Request. However, if you are just going home for the holidays and will not be conducting any UT-affiliated business or research, no paperwork or travel registration is required.

No, as long as you are traveling ONLY for vacation/personal reasons and will not be affiliated with UT in any way while abroad or conducting any university-affiliated business.

Yes! No matter the amount of time spent in a Restricted Region, if it is for any UT-affiliated purposes, approval MUST be obtained from the IOC.

You still need to fill out a Restricted Regions request, likely a program/activity request. Email if you are unsure which form to fill out.

The ITRAF stands for the International Travel Authorization Request. It is only for students who are NOT traveling to a Restricted Region and are NOT part of an official Education Abroad Program or Social Work Field Placement opportunity. So, no.

There is no minimum or maximum word count, but please be thorough in your responses so we can have as much information as possible, and to show that you have done your due diligence through research.

Categories are determined by risk ratings from International SOS, travel advisories from the Department of State, and travel health notices from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

UT Austin does not support travel that does not adhere to its policies. You will not receive credit for coursework taken or research conducted in a Restricted Region, you will not receive any reimbursement, graduation can be delayed, credit may be withheld, you may face non-academic sanctions, Dean and Student Conduct and Academic Integrity will be notified, and program coordinators cannot fully accept students into a Education Abroad program until IOC approval has been received.

The UT emergency contact is someone in your department or school who knows about your travel abroad – a faculty member, a staff member, an administrative person, etc. It cannot be your program coordinator, someone from Texas Global, or someone from Global Risk & Safety.

The local emergency contact must be someone who will be in the city you’re traveling to who knows of your travel. It can be the hotel/accommodation you’re staying at, the contact information provided for the conference you’re attending, a research/thesis advisor assisting you, or a friend/family member. We must be able to contact them in the event of an emergency when we cannot get a hold of you first.

No, but please submit as many details as possible. If anything changes or you receive more details about your trip, please email and let us know.

It depends on the thoroughness of your request, the current safety and security concerns of your location, and other factors.

You would fill out the form for the highest category you are traveling to. For example, if you are traveling to locations that are Categories 2 and 4, you would fill out the Category 1/2/3 form.

The Restricted Regions list is updated monthly, or depending on changes from the U.S. Department of State or International SOS. You can subscribe to these updates by joining our listserv.

NO. The form must be typed. Please use Adobe Reader to fill out the form. Preview (Mac’s default PDF viewer) does not handle the forms well.