Visa Information

  • Application form DS 160.
  • Issuance Fee charged for visa. Depending on the country of citizenship, applicants may have to pay an issuance fee (also known as visa reciprocity fee).
  • One passport-size photograph.
  • Current SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019 signed for travel by an International Advisor within the last year.
  • Proof of SEVIS Fee payment, when required. The Department of Homeland Security charges a fee to maintain the Student Exchange Visa Information Service (SEVIS). You must pay this fee if you leave and re-enter the U.S. to regain legal status with an I-20 or are readmitted to the University and are returning with a new I-20.
  • Official UT Transcript in a sealed envelope and a Letter of Good Standing (also known as Certification of Enrollment) from the Registrar's Office (Main Building 1). For newly admitted students, you should show the admission letter from The University of Texas at Austin.
  • Proof of financial support. You should be able to verify the amount shown as the total on your I-20 or DS-2019 with a personal bank statement, Research Assistant/Teaching Assistantship (verification letter should include salary and tuition payment details), or sponsor's letter and sponsor's bank statement.
  • Proof of ties to your home country. The Department of State assumes every person applying for a visa intends to immigrate to the U.S. unless they prove strong ties to their home country. Evidence of these ties might include proof of property ownership in the home country, a job offer letter from home or letters from family.

The visa stamp in your passport is for entry purposes only. The visa stamp in your passport may expire while you are in the U.S. Once you are in the U.S., your unexpired I-20/DS-2019, passport, and I-94 are the documents that permit you to remain in the U.S. If you will be traveling outside the U.S. you will need to renew your visa follow the steps above in order to return.

F and J students who apply for a visa stamp in a third country – including Canada and Mexico or any country other than their own – are known as third country nationals. To make sure you are eligible to apply for a new visa as a third country national, be sure to contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate Office in that country beforehand. If you apply for a new visa in a third country and is denied, they will not be allowed to reenter the U.S. on their expired visa stamp and must immediately go to their home country to apply for a new visa.

If you apply for a visa in a third country, you must stay in that country until the background check is completed. If you are planning to apply for a U.S. visa in Mexico or Canada, please talk to an international student advisor at ISSS before you make arrangements. In general, ISSS does not recommend that third-country nationals apply for a U.S. visa in Mexico or Canada because of lengthy delays due to background/security checks and complications in case of visa denial. You may not use Automatic Visa Revalidation if you have applied for a new visa in Mexico or Canada while abroad.

If you plan to travel to a country that is contiguous* to the U.S. (but NOT Cuba) and you intend to stay there less than 30 days and will NOT apply for a new U.S. visa, you may reenter the U.S. on an expired visa stamp (this regulation is known as Automatic Visa Revalidation).

Note: Citizens of Iran, Syria, Sudan, and those from a State Sponsor of Terrorism designated country as listed by the U.S. Department of State will not be allowed to reenter the U.S. with an expired U.S. visa stamp, even if the trip is to a contiguous country.

*Saint Pierre, Miquelon, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Bermuda, the Bahamas, Barbados, Jamaica, The Windward and Leeward Islands, Trinidad, Martinique, or other British, French or Netherlands territories or possessions in, or bordering, the Caribbean Sea.