Exchange Student FAQ

Application Process

This error frequently occurs when students do not indicate that they are applying as a student during the UT EID creation process. Please do the following to correct your affiliation status:

  1. Go to
  2. Select Find a UT EID
  3. You will be asked "Do you want to apply (or have you already applied) to be a student at the University of Texas at Austin?" You must select "YES"
  4. After you fill out the appropriate information in the subsequent screens, your EID should populate
  5. Select and claim your EID

Once your EID is claimed, this affiliation should be added and you should be able to complete the application.

Exchange students are not required to submit an official transcript by mail. An uploaded, digital copy of your official transcript is acceptable. If your MyStatus page shows a message requesting that you mail a transcript, this message is an error that can be disregarded.

Unfortunately, UT does not provide any scholarships for incoming reciprocal exchange students. Check with your home university exchange coordinator to find out if any scholarships are available from your home institution.

Financial documents are not necessary for admission. However, we will not be able to issue your visa documents until you have upload proof of adequate financial support in myIO. Issuing your visa document from UT may take several weeks and visa processing times vary by consulate location. Please provide your financial support information as early as possible to allow sufficient time to complete the visa process.

If you have a US passport or are eligible for US citizenship, you are required to enter the US with a US passport. You may not apply for a J-1 visa. Please upload a copy of your US passport in myIO when prompted. You will still be required to complete all forms in myIO. 

Preparing for Arrival

The housing market in Austin is extremely competitive. We recommend that you start looking for housing as soon as possible. If you are interested in on-campus housing at UT, you should begin applying as soon as you have completed steps 1 and 2 on the application page. On-campus housing is awarded on a first-come first-served basis.

For other housing options, review the recommendations on our website. If you apply for on-campus housing you should also prepare a back-up option in case you are not selected.

Contact UT Housing directly to find out when housing decisions will be made and check on the status of your application: If you do not get a room on-campus, there are plenty of housing options within walking distance of campus. The majority of exchange students enjoy living in private housing in the neighborhood around campus. Please view our housing page for more information on housing options.

You can find information about important dates on our website. All new students have to complete some administrative tasks before they are allowed to register for class. Please plan to arrive at least a few days before classes start to take care of these requirements. It is recommended that you attend the International Student Orientation. Attending one International Briefing and Check-In session is a requirement.

Academic Planning

Detailed information about academic planning for exchange students is available on our website.

We cannot guarantee placement in any specific course. Some classes may not be available due to popularity or program capacity and not all classes listed in the course catalog are offered each semester. General exchange students should not rely upon any specific UT course for timely graduation from their home university. Consider working with your university to arrange a back-up option in case your preferred class is not available.

Our general exchange program is designed for the undergraduate level and general exchange students are admitted at the undergraduate level. Undergraduate level students require specific permission from the department and professor to join graduate level classes. We recommend that you contact the department in advance to find out about the accessibility of graduate level classes. We cannot guarantee in advance that you will be able to take graduate classes.

At UT, returning students select their courses in the previous semester. They generally select classes tentatively and then add and drop classes once they return to campus for the new semester. This will typically open up sufficient room for exchange students to be able to get into the classes they need. Once you arrive on the UT campus, you will work with an academic advisor to select your classes and register.

Exchange students are not guaranteed a spot in any specific course and are strongly advised to have an array of course options ready to choose from.

General exchange students are generally not able to take classes at the McCombs School of Business. However, a number of courses at UT called "Business Foundations" are meant for non-business majors are open to general exchange students. The professors are all from the business school and content is similar to that offered for business students. Any business course with an F at the end of the course number (example: FIN 320F) is a Business Foundations class.

Non-business majors who wish to enroll in courses for business students must fill out the Enrollment Control Petition after arriving on the UT campus. Only 2 courses can be taken via Enrollment Control Petition and you must meet any prerequisites. Enrollment in these courses is on a space available basis.

General exchange students may not take MBA courses. The McCombs School of Business has separate exchange agreements with specific business schools abroad. MBA exchange programs follow their own admission and administrative procedures.

Economics is a separate department in the UT College of Liberal Arts and not part of the McCombs School of Business. Economics courses are open to general exchange students.

Generally, US academic credits are transferred on a 1-to-2 scale to ECTS credits. A 3-credit US course would be counted as a 6-credit ECTS course. Most UT courses are 3 credits. You can determine the number of credits of a class by looking at the first number in its course number (example: GOV 310 is a 3 credit class). The final decision on the transfer of your UT credit is up to your home university.

During Your Exchange

As a new exchange student, there are three things you must do before you are given access to the system to register for your classes:

  1. Attend an International Briefing & Check-in session.
  2. Meet with your academic advisor to assist you with choosing your courses. More information about advising for exchange students can be found on our website.
  3. Complete UT's medical clearance process as detailed on the University Health Service's website. Keep in mind that the processing time of any procedures completed at University Health Services may take up to 5 business days for registration bar removal.

You must complete these requirements prior to the day of registration in order to register on time.

After your initial registration you can drop and add classes yourself using the online registration system for a specific period of time. During the first 4 days of class you can drop and add classes yourself online. During the 5th through 12th class days you may drop classes online, but you'll need your academic department to help add classes.

After the 12th class day you will need your department and Texas Global to grant permission for you to drop a class. Undergraduate exchange students must stay enrolled in at least 12 credit hours of class each semester to maintain their valid J-1 visa status. New classes cannot be added after the 12th class day.

You can take English Language Center at UT. Tuition for English Language Center classes that appear in the course catalog is covered by the exchange agreement between UT and your home university. Other English Language Center classes may require separate tuition payment. Please check with if you have any questions about enrolling in English Language Center classes.

We are not able to accept any outside insurance policies. The UT Student Health Insurance Plan is mandatory for all exchange students with a student visa. You can find more information about the policy on our website.

UT student health insurance will be automatically added to your account (My Tuition Bill) once you register for classes if you have a student visa. You must pay the insurance fee and other fees by the deadline for tuition payments. Information about payment methods can be found online.

Exchange students who are US citizens will not be automatically charged for health insurance, but can optionally add it. The deadline to add insurance is the 11th class day. Contact with any questions.

Here are some helpful links regarding the UT student health insurance plan:

Should you decide to self-enroll, the cost of the Student Health Insurance Plan will be added to your Tuition/Fee Bill for the requested semester(s).

Immunizations will be covered at 100% by the UT Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) as long as you receive care at UHS.

Please make sure that you have a travel signature in the bottom right corner of your DS-2019. The travel signature should cover your entire exchange program as it is valid for up to 1 year (or until your program end date if your program is shorter than 1 year).

If you are not traveling to your home country, please check first to see if you need a separate visa to visit another country. Requirements are different depending on which country you are from, so don't rely on advice from other exchange students. Do your own research about the visa requirements for other countries.

Review the travel recommendations on our website and contact the exchange coordinator if you have questions.

After Your Exchange Program

As a J-1 exchange student, you are eligible for academic training authorization during or immediately following your program of study. Any work authorized under academic training must be in your major field of study at UT. Once you have finalized the details of your internship, we can extend your current DS-2019 and authorize academic training for the duration of the internship. Authorization must be granted before your DS-2019 end date.

Visit our J-1 Employment page for a detailed list of documents you need for this process. To discuss academic training in detail, meet with the exchange coordinator for exchange student advising.

To extend your exchange for an additional semester, ask the exchange coordinator at your home institution to send an email to giving permission for your extension. You will need to submit a J-1 extension request form in myIO and schedule an appointment with the exchange advisor to extend your DS-2019 and registration record.

Texas Global only sends unofficial grade reports (not official transcripts) to your home institution. You can order your official transcript online from the Office of the Registrar for a fee. The instructions to order your transcript can be found on the Registrar's website.