Helping with International Student Orientation is a fantastic way to meet new international students, make friends, and share culture! Each year, The University of Texas at Austin and Texas Global welcome hundreds of international students to the Longhorn community. The International Orientation Assistant (IOA) Program provides UT students the opportunity to get involved in International Orientation activities.
How to Get Involved
Helping others to feel welcome and at home as they settle into a new country can be a rewarding experience! We invite UT students with an international interest to become an IOA. IOAs will work alongside Texas Global staff to help new international students navigate the various orientation programs and events offered, while sharing your knowledge of UT and Austin. Orientation programs and events include campus walking tours, city bus tours, resource & information fairs, and various fun social events that provide opportunities for new international students to interact with others.
Involvement in the IOA Program includes attendance at a mandatory IOA training session, and at International Student Orientation welcome events.
- Expected enrollment at UT during Fall 2019
- Must have been a UT student for at least one semester prior to Fall 2019
- Interest and/or familiarity working with diverse populations in cross-cultural settings
- Commitment to attend a one-hour mandatory training session on August 2, 2019
- Commitment to work International Student Orientation and Welcome Lunch on Friday, August 16, 2019
- Commitment to work Welcome Weekend events on August 17 & 18, 2019.
- Commitment to work two to three of the follow-on orientation and social events:
- Student Resource Fair, August 19, 2019
- Orientation Information Sessions, August 19, 2019
- Texas Two-Step Event, August 19, 2019
- Bowling & Billiards Night, August 19, 2019
- Texas Excursion to San Antonio, August 19, 2019
IOAs selected for our Fall 2019 International Student Orientation will be paid at $9/hour with a commitment of 19 hours.
How to Apply
Applications for Fall 2019 have closed.
Monday, June 24 by 5:00 PM.
We are no longer accepting applications for Fall 2019 IOAs. Please check back in October if you wish to apply to be an IOA for Spring 2020 Orientation.
I applied to be an IOA. What is next?
If you submitted your application by June 24, your application will be reviewed. You will receive notification via email sometime between July 1 and July 5, 2019.
If you have any questions about the IOA program, contact us at: email@example.com