Helping with International Student Orientation is a fantastic way to meet new international students, make friends, and share culture! Each year, The University of Texas at Austin and Texas Global welcome hundreds of international students to the Longhorn community. The International Orientation Volunteer (IOV) Program provides UT students the opportunity to get involved in International Orientation activities and provide a welcoming environment for new classmates when they are far from home.
How to Get Involved
Helping others to feel welcome and at home as they settle into a new country can be a rewarding experience! We invite UT students with an international interest to become an IOV. IOVs will work alongside Texas Global staff to help new international students navigate the various orientation programs and events offered, while sharing your knowledge of UT and Austin. Orientation programs and events include campus walking tours, city bus tours, resource & information fairs, and various fun social events that provide opportunities for new international students to interact with others.
Involvement in the IOV Program includes attendance at a mandatory IOV training session, and at a certain number of International Student Orientation welcome events.
- Expected enrollment at UT during Spring 2020
- Will be located in Austin on January 9 through January 16
- Must have been a UT student for at least one semester prior to Spring 2020
- Interest and/or familiarity working with diverse populations in cross-cultural settings
- Commitment to attend a one-hour mandatory training session on January 9, 2020 and to assist at three of the events detailed below.
- Commitment to assist at International Student Orientation or the Welcome Lunch on Friday, January 10, 2020
- Commitment to assist at a Welcome Weekend event on January 11, 2020.
- Commitment to assist at one of the follow-on orientation and social events:
- Cap Metro City Tours, January 12-16, 2020
- Texas Two Step Afternoon, January 13, 2020
- Roller-Rink Skate Day, January 14, 2020
- Exchange Student Reception, January 17, 2020
This is a volunteer position. Volunteers who fulfill their obligations (3 Orientation events plus the 1 hour training session on Thursday, January 9) will be thanked in the following ways:
- A signed Certificate of Completion from Texas Global certifying your completion of participation in the volunteer program
- A signed Letter of Reference from Texas Global that may be helpful used for future volunteer and internship applications
- UT and Texas Global Swag
- A celebration dinner with fellow IOVs and Texas Global staff upon completion of Spring Orientation events
How to Apply
Please fill out the following survey to express your interest.
Monday, December 11, 2019 5 p.m.
I applied to be an IOV. What is next?
If you submitted your application by December 11, your application will be reviewed. You will receive notification via email from December 13 - 16, 2019.
If you have any questions about the IOV program, contact us at: email@example.com