Helping with International Student Orientation is a fantastic way to meet new international students, make friends, and share culture! Whether you have extensive international experience, or you never plan to travel outside of the U.S., developing cross-cultural communication skills is essential to being successful in today’s interconnected world.
Each year, The University of Texas at Austin and Texas Global welcome over a thousand international students to the Longhorn community. The International Orientation Volunteer (IOV) Program provides UT students the opportunity to get involved in International Orientation activities and provide a welcoming environment for new classmates when they are far from home. Both international and domestic students are invited to participate.
How to Get Involved
Helping others to feel welcome and at home as they settle into a new country can be a rewarding experience! We invite UT students with an international interest to become an IOV. IOVs will work alongside Texas Global staff to help new international students navigate the various orientation programs and events offered, while sharing your knowledge of UT and Austin. Orientation programs and events include campus walking tours, city bus tours, resource & information fairs, and various fun social events that provide opportunities for new international students to interact with others.
Involvement in the IOV Program includes attendance at a mandatory IOV training session, and at a certain number of International Student Orientation welcome events
- Expected enrollment at UT during Fall 2020
- Will be located in Austin from August 12 through August 26
- Must have been a UT student for at least one semester prior to Fall 2020
- Interest and/or familiarity working with diverse populations in cross-cultural settings
- Commitment to attend a two-hour mandatory training session on August 12, 2020
- Commitment to assist at International Student Orientation or the Welcome Lunch on Friday, August 14, 2020
- Commitment to assist at one event during Welcome Weekend, August 15-16, 2020
- Commitment to assist at one of the follow-on orientation and social events from August 17 - 26
This is a volunteer position. Volunteers who fulfill their commitments (3 orientation events plus the 1 hour training session on Wednesday, August 12) should expect to receive the following perks:
- A signed Certificate of Completion from Texas Global certifying your completion of participation in the volunteer program
- A signed Letter of thanks from Texas Global that may be used for future volunteer and internship applications
- UT and Texas Global Swag
- A farewell dinner with fellow IOVs and Texas Global staff upon completion of orientation events
How to Apply
Please fill out the following survey to express your interest.
Monday, June 15 at 8 a.m. CT
I applied to be an IOV. What is next?
If you submitted your application by June 15, your application will be reviewed. We review applications on a rolling basis and you should expect to hear from us within a few weeks of applying. Everyone will receive a response by July 2, 2020.
If you have any questions about the IOV program, contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org