Passport to UT 2020 canceled. If conditions permit, we plan to re-launch in 2021. Contact email@example.com with any questions.
Passport to UT
Passport to UT is an optional, fun, and informative week-long orientation exclusively for international students. Settle into life in Austin and get the most out of your time on campus by connecting with staff and students who can help you before and during your time at UT. Learn your way around, find resources for academic success and absorb the culture. We’ll help you find your Longhorn pride and make UT your home.
- Small cohort size provides a personalized, intimate introduction to life at UT
- In-depth sessions introduce you to important campus resources, U.S. culture, & university traditions
- Assistance navigating the city and campus
- Student development & team-building workshops
- Excursions & activities highlighting Austin & Texas culture
- Dedicated Texas Global coordinators who will serve as your guide for the duration of the program
What kind of activities and instruction are included?
Passport to UT is comprised of a number of exciting day-trips and in-depth information sessions.
Passport to UT 2020 is canceled. If conditions permit, details about Passport to UT 2021 will be posted here.
Program Fee: $1,350
Program Fee: $950* without housing
Program Fee includes:
- Transportation from airport upon arrival
- On-campus housing for eleven nights* (excluded in the $950 rate)
- Meals for the program duration (combination of residence hall meal plan and catered group dinners)
- Admission to cultural activities and program components including a day-trip to a Texas Dude Ranch
- Dedicated Texas Global staff for the duration of the program Texas Global swag!
Passport to UT is an optional orientation specifically for international students interested in a personalized introduction to UT. This program is offered in addition to the orientation provided for all international students by Texas Global, which is free of charge.
Preparing for UT
As a student, you will experience all four seasons in Austin, from very hot to cold. Here’s an idea of what you might like to pack, depending on your lifestyle. Check out an overview of the annual weather in Austin.
- Casual clothes
- Business or dressy clothes
- Light-weight and heavy coat
- Hat or cap
- Swim suit
- Towel Athletic clothes
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Dress shoes
- Toiletry bag
- Toothpaste & toothbrush
- Deodorant Make-up, moisturizers, & hair products
- Sunscreen Aspirin/prescription medicines in clearly labeled containers
- Small first-aid kit
- Card listing allergies & medical conditions
- Prescription glasses/Contacts & contact solution
- Cash for incidentals until you set up a bank account
- Writing materials & utensils
- Power adapters and cords for electronics
- Power adapters
- Travel clock
- Camera with extra storage (memory card)
- Pictures of family & friends (This may reduce homesickness)
Travel documents to take with you:
- Passport with required visa Government Photo ID (i.e. passport)
- Major international credit cards (i.e. American Express, VISA/MasterCard)
- Telephone numbers, destinations & addresses in U.S. to be visited
- Copy of your passport (photo and visa pages) & other travel documents
- Admission letter and offer letter from UT department
Additional packing tips:
- Label your suitcase inside and out with your name, home address, and a sticker, ribbon, patch, or other unique identifier to your luggage to make it easier to find.
- Bring your travel documents and passport, along with copies of your passport and visa, in your carry-on luggage. Do not pack them in your checked bag!
- Leave a copy of your travel documents at home with someone who can be contacted in case of an emergency while you are away.
- Bring any extra medication you might need and carry prescriptions for any medications that you take with you.
- Fill out and return the Participant Pre-Arrival Survey you will receive from Texas Global
- Follow Texas Global on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to stay informed
- Join the UT International Student Facebook Group Practice your English (speaking, reading, and writing)
- Make a commitment to challenge yourself to meet new people and try new things before you leave home
- Learn more about Austin and U.S. culture
Arrival & Housing
Texas Global will arrange airport pick-up from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport to the residence hall for Passport to UT participants. After registering for the program, participants will receive information on how to submit their arrival information to UT.
Participants will be housed for eleven nights during the Passport to UT program and through ISSS International Student Orientation and Welcome Weekend. If you need to extend your stay after the program, contact Simply International.
Linens and basic kitchen items will be provided to participants so they do not have go shopping immediately upon arrival.
Finding Permanent Housing in Austin
Check out Texas Global's advice on finding housing in Austin here. As part of the Passport to UT program, time is set aside to meet with representatives from Simply International and College Houses (Co-Op system).