UT Employee Insurance for Scholars

If you will be employed by UT for at least 20 hours per week and for a duration of at least 4.5 months during your J-1 program, your medical insurance coverage may be provided to you as a benefit of your employment, according to the below guidelines:

Full-time Employees: All full-time (40 hours) benefits-eligible employees have insurance coverage from their first day of employment. Full-time employees have 31 days from their date of hire to elect optional benefits or add dependents.

Part-time Employees: All part-time (20-39 hours) benefits-eligible employees and their covered dependents must elect insurance coverage within 31 days from their date of hire or they will not have any insurance coverage.

Please consult with your hiring department regarding your eligibility for benefits as a UT employee.

New employee orientation for benefits eligible employees

If you will receive insurance benefits from UT due to your employment, you will need to attend a new employee orientation to elect your insurance coverage. New employee orientation is presented by Human Resource Services (HRS), and requires pre-registration. More information on the available times and location of the orientation are available online.

Supplementary insurance coverage

Please be aware that UT Employee medical insurance does not cover repatriation and medical evacuation coverage. You must purchase supplemental coverage for these two requirements during J-1 Faculty & Scholar Orientation at ISSS if you have not already purchased it in your home country. The cost of this supplementary insurance coverage is $68/person per year or $200/family per year if you elect to purchase International SOS coverage. You can also purchase the coverage from AHP/BCBS for $40/person per semester.

Exchange visitors not Insured as UT Employees

J-1 Exchange Visitors who receive all of their funding from a source outside of UT or who are appointed at UT for less than 20 hours per week and/or less than 4.5 months, are not eligible for medical coverage provided by UT Employee insurance. If you are an exchange visitor, you must purchase insurance from your home country, a private insurance company, or from AHP/BCBS through ISSS.