H-1B Employment

For long-term employment (including tenure-track positions) in teaching and research, the H-1B visa status is most commonly used. H-1B status can be extended for up to six years and allows transition to permanent residency for qualified foreign nationals.

The H-1B process involves approval by several governmental agencies and significant processing times. Because the H-1B approval process can take up to six months, it is highly recommended that paperwork to initiate an H-1B petition be submitted seven to eight months in advance of the employment start date.