Global Professional Training: Latin America is a conference for UT students to participate in specialized dialogues about the region, develop intercultural communication skills, and create a peer-to-peer network while exploring Latin America-related careers, courses and programs at UT. By participating in GPT, you will expand your network to include more globally minded students and industry professionals while also increasing your expertise and knowledge of a critical world region.
Both domestic and international students are invited to the conference and special consideration will be given to developing the connections between international students from Latin America and U.S. students interested in the region.
- Explore Latin America-related courses and programs
- Participate in specialized dialogues
- Enhance intercultural communication skills
- Network with globally minded students
International students will find ample opportunity to get more connected with domestic students and to promote their home cultures. After completing the training, you will be presented with an official certificate documenting your acquisition of cross-cultural professional skills and knowledge of the region. Additionally, if you plan to specialize your studies or develop post-graduation plans focused on Latin America, GPT is a great way to get connected to the people, organizations and programs that will help you succeed.
2020 Conference Details
Date: Saturday, April 25 - Sunday, April 26, 2020
Time: 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. each day
Location: San Jacinto Residence Hall - Multi-Purpose Room
309 E. 21st St., Austin, TX, 78712 (UT Campus)
Registration for the spring 2020 GPT Latin America conference is free for all student participants. This includes conference materials and meals. However, students who register for the conference and are absent without providing sufficient justification and prior notice will be charged a fee of $50 via their What I Owe page.
Registration deadline: Wednesday, April 8, 2020
Who can participate?
We invite any undergraduate or graduate student with an interest in Latin America to join the GPT community. International students from the region are also highly encouraged to participate. We are seeking individuals who wish to gain a better cross-cultural understanding of people, traditions, and professional norms outside their own.
Cost of attendance
Thanks to generous funding from Texas Global and outside donors, there is no fee to attend this conference. Students will be provided meals, snacks, coffee, and conference materials free of charge. However, students who register for the conference and are absent without providing sufficient justification and prior notice will be charged a fee of $50 via their What I Owe page. See our FAQ for more details.
Scholarly advising provided by the Lozano Long Institute of Latin American Studies (LLILAS).
"I was able to network with people that I can actually anticipate working with in my future career." -Clarissa Garcia, Textile and Apparel Junior
"The whole feeling and environment was extremely positive. It made me feel proud of my culture and heritage." -Axel Romano, Natural Science Senior
"By attending this conference, I made personal connections with like-minded global citizens and learned more about how to go about pursuing career goals." -Kristen Schmorleitz, International Relations and Global Studies Senior
- What is Global Professional Training (GPT)?
- Global Professional Training (GPT) is an on-campus international conference that prepares UT students for international working and living environments and equips them with an international network for their future professional pursuits. The program was founded in 2010, when Texas Global hosted its first GPT conference focused on the Middle East region. Since then, the program has expanded to include a fall conference focused on East and Southeast Asia and a spring conference focused on Latin America. GPT sessions during the conference include: plenary sessions focused on regional topics and cross-cultural communication skill building, breakout sessions on living & working abroad, a networking event with representatives from Central Texas firms working in the region, and cultural performances.
- What is GPT Latin America?
- Established in 2017 as GPT Mexico, the conference is now more broadly focused on Latin America with the goal of developing students' cross-cultural professional skills, building a globally minded student network, and celebrating cultures across the region. This on-campus, international experience is designed for students interested in pursuing international careers, especially in Latin America. We offer workshops for both graduates and undergraduates on intercultural communication, breakout sessions on Latin America-related topics and programs, an informal networking hour with industry representatives, Latin America cultural performances and ample opportunity to connect with other globally minded students. The conference is free for students from any course of study to attend and both domestic and international students are invited to attend.
- Who is the conference for?
- All UT students, both undergraduate and graduate, are invited to register for this free conference. We especially welcome international students, who bring a wealth of cultural knowledge and experience to our conference.
- Why should I attend?
- By participating in GPT, you will expand your network to include more globally minded students and industry professionals while also increasing your expertise and knowledge of a critical world region. International students will find ample opportunity to get more connected with domestic students and to promote their home cultures. In addition to providing an opportunity to immerse yourself in an international context without leaving campus, GPT Latin America promotes valuable professional skill building and is an academic experience to include on your resume. After completing the two-day training, you will be presented with an official certificate documenting your acquisition of cross-cultural professional skills and knowledge of the region. Additionally, if you plan to specialize your studies or develop post-graduation plans focused on Latin America, GPT is a great way to get connected to the people, organizations and programs that will help you succeed.
- Where is the conference?
- The conference will be held in the collection of Multi-Purpose Rooms located on the ground floor of the San Jacinto Residence Hall (SJH) on the UT Campus. The address for the San Jacinto Residence Hall is 309 E 21st St, Austin, TX 78712.
- How much does it cost?
- Thanks to generous donations from private donors and funding from Texas Global, Global Professional Training is free for all student participants. However, students who register for the workshop and are absent without providing sufficient justification and prior notice will be charged a no-show fee of $50 via their What I Owe page. This determination will be made at the discretion of program staff. If you are unable to attend, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How should I dress?
- We encourage students to dress in business casual attire for the event. This means polished and presentable clothing, such as slacks, skirts or dresses paired with dress shirts, blouses or cardigans. Full business attire (i.e. coats, ties, heels) is not necessary. Additionally, we plan to include at least one semi-active cultural experience in the conference so we do not recommend wearing shoes that are difficult to stand or walk in.
- What if I cannot attend the conference?
- If you need to cancel your registration for any reason, please contact email@example.com as soon as possible to prevent having a $50 no-show fee from being added to your What I Owe. Barring family emergency or illness, all cancellation requests must be received three business days prior to the event. Only students who do not attend AND who do not notify us of their cancelled registration will be charged.
- Will meals be provided?
- Yes, we will provide a light breakfast and full lunch for conference. There will also be refreshments available during at least one of the break times.
- Who plans GPT?
- The GPT conferences are organized by the Global Customized Programs in Texas Global and is supported by academic departments across campus including the Lozano Long Institute of Latin American Studies (LLILAS) and the LLILAS Mexico Center. If you have any questions or concerns, or if you would like to contract us to implement a similar program, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org