Prior to departure, students have the option of attending an intercultural workshop. These workshops are designed for all students regardless of destination. The objective of the workshops is to support students’ ability to adjust and be successful in a new environment.
Daniel Ach, MA
Daniel has been a program coordinator with Education Abroad's Advising Team since 2014. Before moving (back) to Texas, where he was born and raised, Daniel held a position at the Cultural Division of the Embassy of Kuwait in Washington,DC. However, much of his professional experience is in student affairs, advising students and managing residence halls at the University of Maryland - College Park, where he received his Master of Arts in International Education Policy. Prior to his Master's program, Dan was a Peace Corps volunteer for two years in Kazakhstan, where he was set on a trajectory to study and work in intercultural communication and education. Dan's first abroad experience was to Graz, Austria to play bass in an international music festival.
Calendar of Events - 2019
- April 30th, 2019 - 6:00-9:00pm
- CANCELLED - May 1st, 2019 - 6:00-9:00pm
- May 8th, 2019 - 6:00-9:00pm
All workshops will be held in Texas Global.
Additional Resources and Readings
- Deardorff, D.K. (Ed.) (2009). The SAGE Handbook of Intercultural Competence. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Hofstede, G., Hofstede, G.J. & Minkov, M. (2010). Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind. Intercultural Cooperation and Its Importance for Survival. New York, New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Storti, C. (1999). Figuring Foreigners Out. Yarmouth, ME: Intercultural Press, Inc.
- Storti, C. (2001). The Art of Crossing Cultures. 2nd Edition. Yarmouth, ME: Intercultural Press, Inc.
- Thomas, K. & Harrell, T. (1994). Counseling student sojourners: Revisiting the u-curve of adjustment. In G. Althen (Ed.) Learning across cultures. (pp. 89-107). Washington, D.C.: NAFSA.
- Trompenaars, F. & Hampden-Turner, C. (2000). Riding the Waves of Culture: Understanding Cultural Diversity in Business, Second Edition. London: Nicholas Brealey Publishing.
- Vande Berg, M., R. M. Paige, K. H. Lou. (Eds.) (2012). Student Learning Abroad: What Our Students Are Learning, What They're Not, and What We Can Do About It. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing, LLC.
- Ward, C., Bochner, S., & Furnham, A. (2001). The Psychology of Culture Shock, Second Edition. Philadephia, PA: Routledge.
Riding the Waves of Culture by Dr. Fons Trompenaars
Cross Cultural Communication by Pellegrino Riccardi
The Danger of a Single Story by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
The Art of Cognitive Blindspots by Kyle Eschen
Learn how to download the Cultural Analysis Toolkit developed by Dr. Deidre Mendez in The University of Texas at Austin’s McCombs School of Business.