Education Abroad COVID-19 Information and Resources
The University of Texas at Austin and Texas Global are committed to providing meaningful education abroad opportunities to students who seek to engage with the world in a way that is ethical, responsible and safe. COVID-19 has changed the world forever, but it has not diminished the benefits of international education—cultural awareness, adaptability, self-reliance, and problem solving.
To support the safety of UT students beginning to plan their education abroad, we will:
- Provide students with the information and resources to make an informed decision about going abroad during a pandemic.
- Instruct students to follow the standards as set forth by our institutional partners, foreign governments and public health authorities.
- Ensure that policies outline the financial responsibilities for participation, financial consequences for withdrawals, and clarity regarding refunds related to program cancellations.
- Assist any student who wishes to come home at any time and provide clear guidance related to academic and financial impact, overseas insurance, and transportation resources.
Global Risk and Safety
The Global Risk and Safety (GRS) team in Texas Global monitors world events, supports students preparing for departure and assists when emergencies occur abroad. GRS is supported by the International Oversight Committee, which is responsible for establishing guidelines and formulating policies to maintain the health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff.
Visit the Global Risk and Safety website for the most current travel guidelines and information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there students currently abroad?
Yes, UT students are studying abroad during fall 2020. All programs for 2021 are currently open.
When will UT Austin make a decision about Maymester and Summer 2021 programs?
Recruiting for Maymesters/Summer programs will begin on the first class day (August 26). We will monitor the viability of programs in November and February and will make a final decision about Maymester/Summer programs by March 12, 2021.
Education Abroad, in collaboration with Global Risk and Safety, will be in close communication with students regarding the status of their programs before this date. Programs approved to proceed after March 12 may still be subject to cancellation before the scheduled departure.
Is my UT Austin $75 application fee refundable if I choose not to go abroad, withdraw from the program before departure, or if my program is canceled?
No, the application fee is non-reversible, non-refundable and non-transferable. Students must decide if they are willing to take the risk of applying under the current circumstances.
Is my program deposit refundable if I choose not to go abroad, withdraw from the program before departure, or if my program is canceled?
All programs have different policies related to deposits and balances due. Please consult with your individual program coordinator or provider.
- Can I participate in a virtual education abroad program instead of physically going to the location abroad?
When should I buy my flight for a maymester or summer program?
We strongly advise students to not buy their flight until after March 12, 2021, when programs will be confirmed. Students wanting to buy their flight before that date should consider purchasing a ticket with a favorable cancellation policy or purchase supplemental travel insurance.